39

Victoria

The breeze is calmed, silent - but I can hear the leaves brushing against one another on the tall trees watching us. With the sky an orange and pink behind my target, I adjust my aim, gripping the weapon - and pull the trigger. An echo sounds down the entire serenity; pass the lingering trees to last where the skyline meets the treetops afar. I slightly jump, from excitement, rather, when I examine the small bullet hole just above the center of my target. I turn to face the gangster, who sits on a log watching me. "I made it! Well...kind of." I blurt, when the gangster's set of brown eyes latch onto mine, while he comes to a stand.

Rio walks in my direction smoothly. His brows raise, his full lips tug upward as he approaches me. "That was good." He says huskily, putting his hands into the pockets of his leather jacket as he stands inches away from me. I perch a brow in question. The gangster seems to suppress a smile, pursing his full lips. "Next time try fixating your aim more upward." He suggests, and I watch him lean back on a tree behind me to observe. I sigh, and turn around to face the circular target again, squinting my eye to aim. I try 'lifting up my aim' but confusion piles me as I struggle. The tip of Rio's golden gun points to the center, when I place my finger on the trigger. Behind me, I hear the gangster let out a heavy breath. "Here," He says behind, before I feel the warmth of his body pressing against my back. And he takes one of his hands to grasp my own around his gun.

Rio's warm breath tickles my neck. "Alright, you take the gun..." He says lowly against me - my heart only hammering in return. "Aim it this way..." He instructs in a low whisper, guiding my hand. "And pull." He breathes. I suck in a low breath when I'm ready, and press down on the trigger. The booming echo sounds again, and I lower the gun when Rio's hand slips from mine. I observe my shot; the bullet landed right in the center of my target. I suddenly squeal before covering my mouth, allowing for my body to jump once in triumph. The gangster's brown irises glint with amusement when I turn to face him, and he keeps his gaze on me. "Now that is how you shoot a gun!" I beam with a smile, watching Rio's lips curve upward.

The gangster shakes his head, and breaks into a smile before he makes his way toward me. I raise my brows, admiring the killer smile he plays about on his full lips. "You seem mighty happy for a shot that I made. Are you proud?" I grin smugly, before the gangster plants his feet inches before me. His jaw is hardened, but he still grins, licking his luscious lips as he locks his eyes onto mine.
"Two days ago I asked you to be my business partner." He begins huskily, searching my eyes. "You said yes." I watch his tongue sweep across his full lips that twitch again. He averts his gaze onto the leafy ground below a moment, before his brown eyes flick up to my own again. "Knowing how to protect yourself is a plus in the matter." He shrugs in his jacket, and I nod slowly. I curl my lip, taking a step toward him, our bodies nearing. My lips part - close to his face. "And you never told me the body...who is it?"

Rio's purses his full lips again, his brown irises blaze into mine. "Are you ready for brunch? I'm hungry..." He changes the subject, raising his brows with a frown, and in turn I roll my eyes. I spin on my heels to turn away from him for distance, just before I feel his grasp on my hand - engulfing my hand that's gripping his golden gun - as he spins me back around to face him. My chest hits his, and we breathe in the same air in the moment. My brows furrow, and I feel his warm touch intertwine my fingers with his, before he gently removes his gun from my hold. Rio twitches his lips. "Wouldn't wanna let you walk off with this in your hand." He adds lowly.

A quiet humorless laugh escapes my lips, when I see Rio's lips curve. I suppress my smile, running a hand through my hair. "You're not funny." I breathe. The gangster watches me steadily, for seconds, searching my orbs. I stand close to him, watching him watch me. Finally, his full lips part, when he breaks the deafening silence - he licks his lips just when the words spill. "Let me take you home." He states, rather. I gaze at the gangster another brief moment, before I suck in a soft breath. "OK." I say in return.

--

My lips quirk up to form a genuine smile, when the gangster's tasty lips are brushing against my own. I lay on my back, twined in my bed sheets, as the gangster hovers over me - planting his hands next to either side of my head. I lean up to capture his full lips on my own. I snake my hands around his warm neck as he's pressed against me, and he moves his lips against my own slowly, passionately.

I wrap my bare leg around his unclothed, toned waist, and feel his teeth tug on my lip. My eyes flutter open to see the gangster grinning when our lips part, as he grips one side of my waist with a strong hand. He breathes heavily above me, flicking his brown eyes up to meet my own, as they burn into mine.

Suddenly, a ringing interrupts. I see the gangster's jaw clench hard, when his head drops. He groans against me, and the ringing sounds again. Rio throws his arm out to my bedside table, rummaging his jacket for his cell phone, I presume. I watch his eyes scan the screen when he finds it, before his jaw sets harder, which I didn't think was possible for him. The gangster licks his full lips, before holding my gaze above me. "I gotta go." He leans down, and I suppress my shiver from the feeling of his warm breath near my ear. I'm expecting words, but the gangster just plants a feathery kiss on my cheek before he sits up, and stands up from my bed in silence.

I sit up holding the bedsheets up to my bare chest. My brows furrow, watching his back when he slips on his dark jeans. "Being your business partner...is this how it's going to be? You just take off when you-"
Rio glances back at me over his shoulder. "You haven't even begun your first task." He interjects, his voice domineering. I watch the gangster send me a firm once over - his jaw still clenched.
"It's a test of loyalty, Victoria. Think about that." He adds lowly, before turning around and heading out my bedroom door. I sit in silence, exhaling the breath I held and tuck a strand of my hair behind an ear. I bite my lip, hearing my front door shut across the house.

...A test of loyalty? What is that suppose to mean? I shake my head, and kick my feet over the edge of my bed, coming to a stand. I exit my bedroom, grasping the bedsheets onto my body as I make my way into the living room.

I stand before my closed front door, breathing against the hard wood. I want to open it - before I hear Rio's car door shut outside, and I suck in a low breath instead. I close my eyes briefly, and swallow lightly. I turn around, and gently throw my head back onto the door. And when my eyes peel open, I spot something in my house; something that doesn't belong. I walk up to my black couch, stopping in my tracks when I observe what's in front of me. In the center of my couch, and on a cushion, showcases a neatly folded paper.

I gather the white sheet of paper, opening it up to see an unfamiliar address. My brows furrow in confusion, before I glance down to my couch again - to see a ring that was placed beneath where the paper once was. My heart hammers, when I reach down to pick up my engagement ring - the diamond reflecting the ceiling light - the same ring that was on my finger before I threw it at Jack when I caught him cheating; the same ring he picked up from my floor and took off with.

---

Thank you for reading! Next chapter will be up soon, loves.

Don't forget to vote! ;)

Lots of love,

xx