50

Victoria

"I..." I immediately come to a stand on my own two feet. "What?" I ask, wishing I could vesture the confusion, the innocence; but Jack was found. And it was unexpected, very. I don't know how to act.

I try to steady my shaky knees while I stand, but at the same time, plaster a lost and absentminded expression. Though I don't understand... I buried him. I buried my ex fiancé deep, how could the police find his body? Did I not dig the hole deep enough?! My breathing tends to increase, dangerously fast. I blink at my sister who still stands firmly in the doorway, then peer my gaze over to the gangster on my black couch.

I look down to see Rio - his hard jaw clenched before his full lips fail at taming a mischievous grin. My eyes widen, and more confusion piles onto me of how on earth he could grinning right now. An odd noise escapes my lips - merely a shaky humorless laugh as I watch him. I attract Rio's attention and he glances up at me, his brows raise. "What? Oh, no worries darlin'." His full lips twitch, as he comes to a stand. When he plants his feet on my wooden floor, the gangster's mere taller frame towers me - his chest barely brushing against mine.

I keep my eyes on his. Rio brushes his tongue across his lips a moment. "They won't catch us, sweetheart." He tries to reassure, I take it. I narrow my eyes at him. "Wh- what are you doing?!" I angrily whisper.

Rio blinks his dark lashes when his dark brown eyes hold my own. "I said no worries." He repeats firmly. I almost feel taken aback from his certainty. I softly let out a humorless laugh while I can't take my glaring irises off him.

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa, excuse me?" I turn to face my sister the second I hear her voice across the room. Ann peers over to Rio. "No worries? What- what- what is going on? I said they found Jack... he's dead!" I watch her confused eyes latch onto mine.

"He's dead, Vic." She says more softly, and something inside of me shifts - inviting a heavy weight to claim it's territory on my chest. I frown. "I..."

"Where is it?" Rio interjects huskily. I jolt my gaze onto him, as he grabs his jacket beside me. His dark brown eyes trail up again to meet my sister's. "Oh, not the investigation scene, sweetie. I mean your boy's body. Where is it?" He clarifies huskily with raised brows, vesturing a pout.

I hold my breath, glancing in between the gangster and my confused sister. Ann's brows draw together as she stares at Rio. "It's...it's- I don't know! Why?" She spits.

I swallow, and begin making my way to her. "Ann, just bare with me. I...we..."

"She killed em'." I hear Rio say behind me. I spin on my heels and my jaw drops instantly. I glance at the gangster in disbelief, as his full lips are curved upward, before a chuckle sounds from him. His relaxed shoulders are moving alongside his laugh, while I maintain a serious expression. I glare in his direction.

"What?" Ann says behind me. I quickly turn to face her again. "Ann that's- that's not true." I shake my head - guilt beginning to boil inside me from my twisted words. "I didn't-"

"Yes she did." Rio concludes himself, I spin on my heels again only to see his amused smile. I breathe out a heavy, frustrated breath before turning around to Ann again. Ann's green eyes are wide and frantic.

I officially have the slightest clue as to what to say to her right now. My lips part, but they don't contain the right words. What are the right words? How can I tell her what happened?! Do I tell her what happened?

Suddenly, I slightly jump when a hard figure presses up against my side. I flick my gaze over to Rio who snakes his warm arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him. I meet his deep brown eyes that lock onto mine - his brown pair searches mine a brief moment - before he looks over to my sister again; the mischievous grin still playing about on his full lips. What does he have up his sleeve?!

Rio licks his lips within a sliver of a second. "But you can say it was my doin'. You ain't gonna snitch are you?" Rio questions my sister lowly, and I immediately avert my eyes back onto him; anger surging my veins. "Rio..." I warn. The gangster's brown eyes peer over to meet mine. For a quick moment, I catch onto something in his face that shifts, before he lazily peels his gaze back to Ann.

"Calm down, I wasn't threatening her." The gangster shrugs beside me. "I know she won't say nothin'." He adds lowly, huskily, watching my sister. I roll my eyes and glance at Ann. "Sis...I know this sounds crazy but-"

"Crazy?! He just said that you killed Jack! That isn't true, right?!" My sister asks with wide eyes. I blink at her, lost for words, and flick my gaze onto my wooden floor below. In fact, no. All I did was bury him...
I hear Ann pant, and when I look up to see her again, she has her face buried into either of her palms, shaking her head in denial.

Rio sighs next to me. "Alright. Enough cryin' lets-" He doesn't get to finish when Ann suddenly averts her blazing irises onto him. "I'm not crying, I am confused!" She raises her tone.

"OK, OK...we're not going to do anything, Rio." I demand, glancing at the gangster close to my mere shorter frame. Rio fixes his glinting brown eyes on my own. "You're ridiculous, you know that?" I throw in frustratingly. I run a hand through my shoulder length hair before huffing out a breath and approaching my sister's side.

"Can you please just...hear me out?" I ask her softly. Ann flicks her glossy eyes toward me, with her jaw hardened and her shoulders tense. She firmly crosses her arms over her chest. I suck in a low breath, in preparation.

Then, my brows furrow, and I frown. "Um...I didn't kill him. I buried him..." Ann immediately gasps and she watches me with wide eyes. I try to console her with the gesture of my hands. "Ann, I can explain everything." I add calmly. Her breathing is rapid, fast as she enters panic mode.

"Like I said, no worries." I hear Rio say before I watch him walk up to my side. "The cops got nothin' on me. And now that you're mine they got nothin' on you." Rio reassures huskily, keeping his blazing eyes on my own, as he makes his way past my sister and I - stepping outside from the open doorway. The gangster glances over his shoulder as he slips on his black jacket.

"So, in that case, I guess we'll meet up in the morning to discuss this whole mess. The three of us." Rio turns around and glances toward my sister who still has her arms folded. He licks his lips when his dark brown irises burn into mine from the distance between us.

"It'll be alright, darlin'." He says before I see his jaw harden. Rio turns around before any more words can be spoken, and my sister and I stand on the other side of the doorway, as we watch the gangster walk off toward his black BMW parked in my driveway.

---

Thanks for reading!

Q: Do you think Rio / Victoria did the right thing by spilling out to Ann?

Vote, vote, vote!

Much love,

xx