28

Victoria

"A bone fracture, possibly a greenstick." One of the medics informs my boss while pacing inside the entrance of the Hospital. I hurriedly walk toward the scene, and catch up to walk into step with my boss who pushes the stretcher. I grip the other side of the stretcher and glance down, seeing a wincing child who seems to be around 7 or 8. I push aside the frown that could reveal my pity for the little boy, and instead plaster a reassuring smile. His blue eyes look up to meet mine.
"Hey, there! What's your name, pal?" I ask him. He continues to wince, expectedly, grasping onto his bruised left arm. I quickly reach down to place my hand on his own for comfort. "Hey, that bone in your arm could be broken, OK? I know it hurts, bud. But you have to try to not touch it. I'm going to help you feel better." I offer a smile again, and the boy nods understandably.

"My name is West." He begins softly, his youthful voice slightly croaked. I nod. "West. It's nice to meet you, I'm Ms. Stone, but you can call me Victoria." I send him a friendly wink, earning a small smile in turn from him. His cheeks rise and show the tears stained on his face. I avert my gaze ahead, as we push the stretcher into the OR and begin to carefully lift West up, to place him onto the hospital bed. I look down at him. "Your parents aren't with you, West?" I watch him shake his head. "No. My uncle just grabbed my arm and twisted...my aunt was following the ambulance here but...I haven't seen her yet." I nod, and glance up to meet the green irises of my boss. We share a look, and I send a half nod to my boss. "I'll be right back, West." I say.

I begin walking toward the door to get the security guard to take note of a possible abuse, before Dr. Smith grips my arm. I glare down to see his hand firmly stopping me. My eyes look up to meet his gaze. "How do we know for sure this was an abuse?" He asks me lowly, testing my skill. I glance down at his firm grip again, grabbing his hand, and forcefully removing it off me. "Because his arm is twisted, Dr. Smith." I say, "Every doctor and nurse here knows that when a child has a greenstick fracture, it's a sign of a possible abuse. I'm getting the guard just in case. I'm not taking chances." I glare at him, before rolling my eyes once I turn around to head out. I have seriously had enough of him.

I locate the security guard just across the hall, and approach him to do my duty and inform him of West, and his greenstick fracture.

--

"So...he's going to be fine?" The woman standing across me questions, fidgeting with her fingers. She doesn't tear her worried gaze from the security guard next to me. "West will be alright. But, Miss, his bone was twisted...are you aware of how bad that looked?" The guard asks her, with a serious tone. The woman, West's guardian, nods in turn. "I understand, sir. I just..." Her eyes meet mine, as I lean my back against the wall of the busy hall, folding my arms across my chest. "Thank you." She directs toward me, and I offer a small smile. "It's my job." I state, before spotting a smaller frame walk up to my side. I glance down to see a casted West. "I'm glad I got to meet you. And remember, that'll take weeks to heal but time will go by faster than you know it." I assure, sending him a friendly wink, before he beams a wide smile, and takes off with his guardian.

I watch the two exit the Hospital, and sigh. "What about the uncle he mentioned?" I ask curiously. "He said his uncle twisted his arm..." I trail, and the security guard shrugs. "His aunt said it was some accident." He says. I shake my head, and let out a tiresome breath. "Which I don't believe." Frank, the guard, meets my gaze. "Hey, don't let that bother you." He glances at his watch on his dark skinned wrist. "Your shift is almost over. I advise you to get some rest."

"I brought cupcakes!" I hear my sister's excited voice pipe from down the hall. With wide eyes, I watch her prance toward us, plastering a wide smile. In her hold, are two containers of iced cupcakes. "Frank!" She beams. "It is Frank, right?" She asks with a perched brow glancing at the guard, before he nods. I hear Frank chuckle, before shaking his head at Ann. "You two have at it. I'll see you Monday." He sends a smile and waves to me, before turning to head toward the corridor. I wrap my arms around Ann when she leans for an embrace.

Suddenly, I hear an all too familiar, smooth chuckle sounding from behind my sister. I instantly freeze when the voice speaks. "Ain't that cute. Can I get one too?" The question is deep, husky, mischievous.
Ann turns around to see the gangster standing with his hands folded. I lightly swallow when my eyes lock onto Rio's dark irises - his tattoo visible and out in the open, once again at my job - Rio licks his full, tasty lips, giving me a once over.

---

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote!

Much, much love,

xx