7

The next morning Alice is woken up as someone shakes her awake. She turns and sees Ellie sitting on her knees in the spot beside her. "You're not my daddy." The little girl realizes once the woman rolls over.

"No, sweetie, I'm not. Your daddy is out in the living room."

"What happened to your eye, Allie?" She asks, running her fingertips lightly over the cut on Alice's cheek.

Alice feels her face grow hot and she struggles to come up with an excuse. "I, um, fell down the stairs."

"Is that why you and daddy had a sleepover? Because you got hurt?"

"Yeah, honey, that's why. Your daddy let me stay here when he saw I was hurt."

Ellie leans in a presses a kiss to Alice's cheek, overtop of the cut. "Did that make it feel better, Allie?"

"Yeah, much better sweetheart, thank you." Alice tells her, smiling at the little girl and wincing as the smile hurts because of the cut on her cheekbone.

"Daddy always gives my boo boos kisses when I get hurt and it helps a lot." 

"Ellie, did you wake up Alice while she was sleeping?" FP asks from the doorway.

"I thought she was you."

"It's okay, I don't mind." Alice tells him.

"Well, if you want some, I'm going to make breakfast." He offers and Alice smiles at him.

"That sounds great."

"You want some breakfast, Ellie?" He asks her and she nods excitedly.

"Chocolate pancakes?" She asks him with a raised eyebrow.

"Sure, honey." He smiles at her, walking over to the bed.

"Allie, do you like chocolate pancakes?"

"I love them."

"Did you hear that, daddy? Allie loves chocolate pancakes too!"

"I did hear! I guess we better go make them for you and her, and you can help!"

"Yay!" She squeals excitedly. FP leans down so Ellie can climb on his back. "Come on Allie! You're going to miss the pancakes."

"I'm coming!" Alice tells her, following them with a smile.

She walks out to the kitchen where Ellie is helping FP make pancake batter. "Stir it up, kiddo."

"I wanna pour in the chocolate chippies!"

"You can, we just have to make the batter first." FP promises, pulling down the bag of chocolate chips, from the cupboard. He opens them up and hands them to Ellie.

"I always make her batch and then my own, hers is a little too chocolatey for my liking." FP tells her and she laughs.

"I'm honestly fine with whatever."

"Hey, El, save some for the rest of us." FP chuckles as he notices her pouring half the bag into the bowl.

"Sorry daddy." She giggles, handing him the bag.

"I can make the other batter if you want?" She offers.

"Yeah sure, if you want to!" He hands her a bowl and the rest of stuff needed to make the pancake batter.

"Allie can I help?" Ellie asks.

"Sure you can, come here." Alice lifts her up onto the counter and hands her the spoon, letting her mix it.

She looks over at FP who's cooking up some mini pancakes for the little girl. "Can I help put the chocolate chippies in?"

"Sure, I'll pour some into your hand, you dump them in. Alright?" Ellie nods excitedly and holds out her hands for Alice to put the chocolate chips into. FP smiles as he watches the two of them.

___

"Can I go play, daddy?" Ellie asks once she finishes her pancakes.

"Sure, honey."

The two adults watch as she skips off into her bedroom to play.

"You make some pretty good pancakes, Smith. I'm impressed." FP smirks at her.

"Well thank you."  She smiles back. "And thank you for last night, I'm sorry for imposing."

"No, no, you aren't imposing at all."

"I just didn't have anywhere to go, I'm going to make some calls and see if anyone has a free room and then I'll be out of your hair."

"Well, uh, you don't have to go." She raises an eyebrow at him and he continues. "I mean, I know we haven't known each other long at all, but you're more than welcome to stay here. Ellie seems to really like you, I think she'd be mad if I didn't at least offer."

"As long as I'm not any trouble."

"None at all. I'll wash the sheets so they're all clean for you."

"Really, FP. I don't mind taking the couch."

"It's alright. Besides, I have to take Ellie to daycare in the morning when I go to work so if you sleep in the bedroom I won't be waking you up when I get her ready."

"Well then I hope you don't mind me borrowing your clothes for a little bit. I'll have to go get my stuff from my place."

"Shit, right. Didn't even think about that."

She sighs. "I'll just have to wait until he's at work, supposing he even goes."

"Want me to come with you? Just in case?" He offers.

"Would you?" He nods. "That would be great!"

"Of course. If you want to you could come to work with me and we could go grab your stuff on my lunch break."

"That'd be great, really, FP! Thank you." She surprises him by wrapping her arms around him in a tight hug.

"Can we play dollies?" Ellie questions as she walks into the kitchen.

"Sure sweetheart." FP answers.

"Allie too?" Both she and FP turn to Alice who smiles at the little girl.

"I'd love to play!"