15

You have reached Gladys Jones, I can't come to the phone right now so if you leave your name and number I will call you ba-

"That's the fifth time I've called. She better have a damn good reason for not answering." FP growls as he hangs up the phone.

"Why don't you leave her a message?" Alice suggests.

"Because knowing her she won't return it."

"Well she's clearly avoiding the phone calls so maybe a message is your best bet."

As if on cue the phone rings. "Better be her." He walks out of the room to answer it and Alice can hear yelling coming from the bedroom. It's definitely Gladys.

Ellie's bedroom door opens a few minutes later and the little girl peeks her head out. "Daddy? Allie?" She calls, voice shaky.

"Hey, honey. I thought you were asleep?"

"I heard loud voices, it scared me." She tiredly explains as she runs over to Alice, pulling herself up onto her lap.

"It's okay, it's just Daddy." Alice assures her.

"Is he talking to mommy?"

"I... um, I'm not sure, honey." Alice really doesn't want to have the three year old knowing about the parental dispute going on between FP and Gladys.

"He probably is. He seemed mad at Pop's 'cause mommy didn't come get me."

"I think he was just sad, sweetheart. He knew you were excited about seeing mommy and he doesn't like seeing you sad."

"That's because I'm his favourite girl in the whole wide world. He told me so!"

"He told me too."

___

"You said you'd be there to pick her up Gladys! Where the hell were you?"

"Things came up, FP, I couldn't get away."

"You left our three year old daughter alone at daycare because "things came up"? That's not even remotely okay Gladys. The daycare had to call me to pick her up. She was heartbroken and crying and it's all because of you!"

"Tell her I'm sorry. Or I'll tell her, is she up?"

"No Gladys, she's in bed, because she's just a kid and kid's need their fucking sleep. Maybe you'd know that if you actually acted like a mom to her."

"FP-"

"I don't want to hear anymore of your excuses Gladys. I want full custody of her and I'm going to fight you in court for it. My lawyer will be in contact real soon." He hangs up the phone and tries to reel in his anger before walking back out into the living room.

He's shocked to see Ellie awake and cuddled up with Alice on the couch. "Ellie? Honey what are you doing up?"

"You were yelling super loud and it scared me."

"Oh... oh, I'm sorry baby girl." He walks over to the couch and she switches from Alice's lap to his, snuggling up in his arms.

"It's okay, daddy." She assures him. "Was you talking to mommy?"

"Um, about that, honey. How would you feel about living with me only, you wouldn't have to see mommy again unless you wanted to. Would that be okay with you?"

"Yeah." She answers plainly. "Mommy's mean, I don't wanna see mommy, she made me sad."

"You don't have to see her ever again, El. I promise."