40

Alice wakes up to the sound of humming next to her. She opens her eyes to see Ellie wide awake and singing songs to keep herself entertained. "Hey cutie, how long have you been awake for?"

"Hi Allie!" Ellie squeals. "I've been awake only for a tiny time. I didn't want to leave you because you were sad."

Alice sighs and sits up, pulling Ellie onto her lap. "Yesterday really did a number on you, huh? Were you scared, honey?"

"Yes because the big, tall man was being really mean to you! He made you cry!" Ellie explains. "He hurted you and it scared me!"

"Don't worry, sweetheart, I'm alright." She assures the little girl.

"Who is he, Allie?"

"He's just an old friend of mine who wasn't very nice."

"He's not a good friend then. One time my friend Tommy put gum in my hair so I stopped being his friend! You should stop being his friend."

"I did honey, that's why I'm living with you and daddy."

"Good! Now he can't be mean to you no more."

"You're right. You and daddy make me feel a lot better."

"We do?" Her eyes gleam.

"Yeah sweetheart, you do. You and daddy gave me lots and lots of snuggles last night and it made me feel so much better." She brushes a strand of the girl's hair behind her ear and presses a kiss to her forehead. "You want to go have breakfast?"

"Yes please! I'm a hungry girl!"

Alice laughs fondly. "Pancakes?"

"Duh!" Ellie slips out of the room towards the kitchen and as Alice is about to follow she notices a note on the pillow next to her. She picks it up and smiles when she sees it's from FP.

Al,
I had to go to work so I can't be there to wake wake up with you (though I have a feeling Ellie won't be leaving your side anytime soon). I hope you're feeling a lot better though, if you need anything at all don't hesitate to call. No matter what.
I'll be home later, have a good day. Give El a kiss for me.
- FP

She walks out into the kitchen and pecks a kiss to Ellie's cheek. "That's from daddy."

___

The office door swings open and FP cocks his head to see who it is. Fred and Hermione look up as well. Ellie comes barreling inside, making a beeline to FP. "Daddy!"

"Hey there baby girl," he gives her a big bear hug and peppers kisses all over her cheeks. "this is a nice surprise."

Ellie slips off his lap so she can go say hi to her aunt and uncle.

"She wanted to come say hi, hope we're not interrupting anything."

He shakes his head and walks over to Alice, wrapping his arms around her and giving her a hug. "Not at all, I love when I get surprise visits from my favourite girls." She smiles at him and reaches up to stroke his cheek. "How are you doing this morning?"

"I'm good." He raises an eyebrow at her. "Really, I am." She squeezes his biceps. He takes her hands in his and inspects her palms, making sure their healing nicely and that she hasn't done it again. "Really, honey. I'm okay."

He smiles at the nickname. "Just checking."

"You're sweet." She smiles at him. "Ellie's still a bit apprehensive, she didn't want to leave my side all day. I talked to her and told her I'm okay and she seems to be alright now but it probably wouldn't hurt if you checked in with her though."

"Yeah, I will for sure. I had a feeling she wouldn't leave your side."

"Even when she woke up she just lasted there next to me until I woke up."

"She's crazy about you," He lifts his hand to stroke her cheek. "as am I." He drops a kiss to her nose.

"Hey El, look at this." Hermione points out the window. Ellie skips over with her uncle in tow and gasps at the sight of a real life rainbow.

"Daddy! Daddy look! It's a rainbow!"

"A rainbow? No way!" She nods eagerly and pulls him over to the window, pointing at the rainbow.

"Can I go outside and look at it? Please daddy?"

"Yeah honey, of course you can."

She opens up the door and Hermione follows her out, Fred gives Alice and FP a knowing look before following.

FP walks over to Alice and she leans up on her tip-toes to give him a kiss.

"Daddy! Allie! Are you coming?" Ellie's voice calls and they both leap away from each other, looking over to the door and seeing her nose pressed up against it. He chuckles and walks over, scooping her up as soon as he opens the door, she giggles loudly. "See? Isn't the rainbow super duper pretty?"

"It's beautiful, El. Just like you baby-girl." He presses a kiss to her cheek. "Thanks for showing us!"