33

"Daddy?" Ellie whispers as she shakes him awake. He opens his eyes and notices that Alive is snuggled up in his arms. "How's come Allie fell asleep out here with you?"

"She was working really late and fell asleep." He gestured for her to come up on the couch to cuddle with him. "Did you sleep okay, princess?"

She nods. "Yeppers!" She snuggles up to his side and plays with Alice's hair, trying to wake her nonchalantly.

Alice's eyes flutter open and she breaks into a smile upon seeing Ellie giggling at her. "You must have been super sleepy, Allie!"

"I was." Alice answers, earning a chuckle from FP.

"Told you." He smuggly says.

She swats lightly at his shoulder and sits up, letting his arms fall from around her. She stretches out her arms and back before standing up and reaching for Ellie. "I think pancakes sound pretty good this morning, how about you?"

"Duh!" Ellie answers, letting Alice lift her up. "I always want pancakes, they're my most favouritest."

Alice laughs and walks into the kitchen. "Oh I know. Chocolate chip today? Or do you want to try something different?"

She thinks on it for a moment. "Something different!"

"Ok, how about sprinkles?"

"Sprinkles?" Her eyes grow wide. "Like what I put on my ice cream?"

"Mhm! We can make them banana flavoured too if you want?"

"That sounds super yummy."

"Can I help with anything?" FP asks.

"Allie's making sprinkle pancakes!"

"Banana and sprinkle." Alice corrects with a smile.

"Sounds yummy." He starts making up some pancake mix with Alice's help.

___

"Pancakes smell good." Alice comments as she walks up to him, wrapping her arms around his middle. "You smell good too." She leans up on her tip toes and presses a kiss just below his ear.

"You flirting with me, Smith?" FP teases.

"Me? Never."

He smirks and stretches his arm out to wrap around her, pulling her to his side. "Nope, can't get out of it now. You admitted you think I'm handsome the other night." Her cheeks flush and FP chuckles. "I think you're stunning so I guess we're even."

She smiles and looks over into the living room before she leans up, brushing the faintest ghost of kiss to his lips. He tries to go in for a proper kiss but she just smirks at him and takes a small step back. "Ellie! Breakfast is ready, sweetheart."

"You're a tease!" FP pouts.

"Poor baby." Alice mocks, pressing a kiss to his cheek before plating the pancakes.

___

"What do you think of he pancakes, kiddo?" FP asks Ellie, though it's kind of a pointless question as the three year old is practically devouring the pancakes.

"Good!" It's barely audible as she pops another piece of pancake in her mouth, but she gives him a thumbs up for extra effect. "Allie's good at making pancakes!"

"Glad you like them." Alice smiles.

"What do you want for dinner tonight, honey?"

Ellie thinks on it for a moment, her eyebrows crinkling in deep thought. Both FP and Alice chuckle at her. "Monsterella sticks!" She decides. "And chicken nuggets!"

FP laughs at her pronunciation of mozzarella. "Monsterella sticks and chicken nuggets? Alright. You okay with that, Al?"

"Of course." She smiles at him and Ellie, the latter of whom hands her the maple syrup.

"Can you pour more syrup on my pancakes, Allie?"

Alice nods and starts pouring the syrup on her pancakes. "Tell me when to stop."

Theres something he finds so amazing about how Alice treats Ellie like she's the most important kid in the whole wide world. It just makes him fall even harder for her.

Maybe things really could work out between them?

He vowed to himself when Gladys left that he would always put Ellie first, especially when it comes to romantic relationships. If Ellie didn't approve then that would be it. But he knows Ellie adores Alice, and it's clear to anyone with eyes that Alice adores Ellie.

So maybe, just maybe, it could work out.