60

He really thought he was doing what was right by ending things with Alice but he underestimated just how attached Ellie was to the woman. Yes, she told her she loves her but she's 4, she tells everyone she loves them.

But she does love her, he's clear on that now, crystal clear. Ellie is making sure he knows that she does not approve of his choice to have Allie leave.

He wakes up later than usual, shocked that Ellie didn't wake him up first. He's about to walk into her room when he spots her sitting in the living room playing with her babies and eating a box of animal crackers. "Hey, baby. How come you didn't wake me up?"

"I didn't want to." She shrugs.

"Alright. What do you want for breakfast?"

"I'm having breakfast." She gestures to the animal cracker box.

He chuckles and raises his eyebrow at her. "Animal crackers isn't a very good breakfast, El."

"I'm a big girl, I can do what I want." He scoops her up into his arms and she wriggles around. "Put me down."

"What's going on with you? Why are you so grumpy this morning?"

"Nothing."

"El? What is going on?"

"Put me down." He sighs and sets her down. "I want pancakes." She crosses her arms and stomps into the kitchen.

"I'll make you pancakes if you tell me what's bothering you."

She turns around and furrows her brows at him. "I'm mad at you." She tells him simply before claiming her spot at the table.

He frowns and takes the seat next to her. "You're mad because of what happened with Allie?" She nods, refusing to look at him. "Talk to me. Tell me what you're thinking about."

"You're mean."

"I'm not mean, Ellie." L

"Yes you are, you sent Allie away and I'm really mad at you."

"I know you are, baby, and I'm sorry that I made you mad but it wasn't my intention."

"Why did you have to send her away? She's the bestest and I love her."

"I know, honey. I do too."

"You love Allie too?" 

"Yeah sweetheart, I do."

She scoots off her chair and he watches her, confused. She returns with the phone in hand. "Call Allie and tell her you love her and tell her to come home."

He sighs and pulls her up onto his lap. "I can't, sweetie."

"Yes you can, all you have to do is press the numbers and say "hi Allie it's daddy. I love you." See? It's easy, I'll help you." She starts pressing numbers and he takes the phone from her. "Hey!"

He turns her around on his lap so he can look at her. "El, I'm not calling, Allie."

"Why?"

"Because I'm pretty sure, Allie is really mad at me."

"I am too. That's why you should call her."

"Ellie, I'm not going to call her. I love her and I know you love her too but we need to give her some space."

"But I want Allie to come home. I know she'd want to, she loves me too."

"I don't doubt that she does, baby, but I think we just need to give her some time."

"But if we give her too much time she'll find someone else and she won't want to come back."

"Honey, just... let's just have breakfast, okay?"

"Fine." She scoots off his lap. "But I'm still mad at you."

"That's fine." He presses a kiss to the top of her head. "I love you."

Shes silent for a moment. "I love you too. You made me sad but you're still my favourite."

He chuckles. "I'm glad, because you're my favourite too."