58

As he walks in the front door he hears Ellie's excited voice ring through the house and she comes barrelling into the front part of the house to give him a hug. He chuckles and kneels down to wrap his arms around her. "Hey munchkin."

"You we're gone so super long, daddy. I didn't think you'd be home in time to give me a bedtime kiss."

"I'd never miss bedtime, and if I did I'd give you double the bedtime kiss the next night."

"Now you can come tuck me in and read me a bedtime story." She looks behind her to Alice. "You and Allie!"

He swallows hard. "That sounds nice, baby. Why don't you go brush your teeth and I'll get you some milk?"

She skips off to the bathroom and he locks eyes with Alice as he stands up. She walks over to him and drapes her arms over his shoulders, giving him a kiss. "We missed you today. How was work?"

"It was fine." He answers simply. "How was El?"

"She's good. She's always good."

"I'm glad." He runs his hands down her sides and sighs heavily.

"What's going on? Are you-" Alice starts but is quickly interrupted by Ellie coming into the room.

"My teeth are all nice and super clean, daddy." She announces.

"Good job, baby. I'll be in in a minute, why don't you go get in bed?"

"Okay, daddy." She walks over to Alice and takes her hand. "Come on, Allie." She drags the woman into her bedroom and FP sighs as he walks into the kitchen to get her some milk.

He walks over to Ellie's room, sippy cup in hand and pauses outside the door when he hears Ellie talking. "I love you, Allie."

Alice kisses the little girl's forehead. "I know. I love you too, sweetheart."

Warning bells go off in his head. Gladys' words rushing back to the front of his mind. FP clears his throat uncomfortably and walks in the room. Damn Gladys for getting in his head.

"Alright Elliebelly what book are we reading tonight?"

"This one, daddy!" She hands him a book and scoots over to make some room for him to sit beside her.

She snuggles into his side as he opens the book. Ellie reaches for Alice's hand as she snuggles up against his side and he clenches his jaw, swallowing hard.

When he finishes the book he notices Ellie is fast asleep so he slowly slips out of her grasp and kisses her forehead. "Night, princess. I love you."

He leaves her bedroom and sees Alice standing right outside the door. "Are you okay? You seem off." He walks past her, ignoring her question, and she grabs his hand. He yanks it away. "What's your problem? Are you mad at me or something?"

"No."

"Then what's your problem? You've been acting strange since you got home."

"It's nothing." He walks away but she follows him.

"It's not nothing, something's clearly bothering you and I just want to make you feel better."

That's when he snaps. "You're not her mom, Alice!"

She looks at him with a raised eyebrow, completely confused as to where that little outburst came from. "What?"

"You are not her mom."

She swallows the lump that's formed in her throat. "Yeah, you're right. I'm not her mom because unlike her actual, biological mom I care about her."

"She doesn't need you. We were doing just fine before you showed up."

"I know you were, you're a great dad, she loves you so much. I'm not trying to take over as her mom, I just figured since we're together it's important that I have a relationship with your daughter. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that?"

"No you're not, I just- it's too much. It's gone too far, she's grown too attached and it's just it's too much!"

"I don't understand, why is it all of a sudden too much? Would you rather me not speak to her? Would you rather her dislike me? I don't know what you want FP!" She quickly wipes a tear from her cheek as soon as it falls.

"Just... shes too attached. I don't want her to get hurt again." He manages to get out, trying not to cry himself.

"So what do you want? Do you want me to go?" Her voice is soft and he knows this is killing her just as much as it's killing him.

"I don't see any other option."

She just sighs and shakes her head. She grabs her purse and opens the door but pauses before she walks out. "Just make sure she knows that this is not my choice."

He nods without looking and just as she's about to walk out the door he stops her. "Alice?"

She pauses but doesn't look back at him. "What?"

"Don't go back to him. I don't want you getting hurt." She doesn't answer and he cringes when the door closes. He breaks down as soon as she's gone.

Mr. Mom On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara