64

"Here's your milk, honey." FP hands Ellie her sippy cup and sits down on the couch beside her. She snuggles up to him, laying her head on his lap as he starts up the movie.

"Daddy, turn it off." She whimpers, not even five minutes in to the movie.

"Why? Is everything alright?" He's confused, Sleeping Beauty is one of her favourites.

"This is Allie's favourite movie, it makes me too sad."

"I'm sorry, honey, I forgot."

"Turn it off! Please!" She asks again and he does just that.

"I'm sorry, baby." He gives her a hug and kisses her head. "How about Aladdin, would that one be okay?"

She thinks on it for a moment. "Yeah, that one's okay."

After the movie is over he carries her to bed. He notices how sad she looks and kneels down beside her bed. "What's wrong, sweetheart? I don't like seeing you so sad."

She sighs. "I just miss Allie."

He frowns and brushes her hair back. "Me too, baby. Me too."

"Do you think she misses me?"

"Yeah, baby. I'm sure she does." He's trying really hard not to cry but it's hard when he knows he's the reason for Ellie even having these questions.

"I told her I love her and she told me she loved me too, did she lie?"

"No El, she... scoot over." She does so and he climbs into her bed with her, curling his arm around her when she lays on his chest. "Allie does love you, I know she does. And I know you love her too, it's my fault that she's gone."

"Why didn't you want Allie here no more?"

"I don't think you'd understand, El."

"I'm smart, daddy." She reminds him.

He smiles. "Yeah, you are smart, aren't you? Well, I just didn't want Allie and I to break up and have you be sad like when mommy and I broke up."

"Oh." She pauses. "But I am sad daddy, you and Allie still broke up and now she's not here anymore. I miss her."

"I know you do, Ellie and I'm sorry that you're sad. I just... I didn't know what else to do. I didn't know you loved Allie so much that you would be this upset."

"I wanted Allie to be my new mommy." She sniffles and he feels his heart break. He doesn't even know how to respond to that, just presses a kiss to the top of her head. "She would've been the best mommy, she plays toys with me, she gives me hugs and kisses, she gives good cuddles, she reads me books, and she makes really good pancakes."

He chuckles. "She would've been a good mommy."

"She would've been the best mommy." She corrects. She's silent for a minute. "Do you really love Allie?"

"Yes I do. I love her so much."

"Then can you both love each other again so she can come back home with us?"

"It's not that simple Ellie. I think Allie is really mad at me."

"Talk to her. That's what Miss Tina told us to do when we're mad."

"You really are a smart girl, El. I love you."

"I love you too, daddy." She pecks a kiss to his cheek. "Can you sleep with me all night?"

The idea of sleeping in her small bed doesn't seem too pleasing to him and he knows he'll wake up with a sore body, but if it makes her feel a little better than he's more than happy to do it. "Sure, honey. I won't go anywhere."