First Day

A/N - I need to go to bed but what if I didn't 🤣

John's POV

"John! Don't be late for school and remember you have to drop you sister of at daycare." My father called as he gathered his things. "And make sure everyone gets to the bus stop on time."
"I got it, dad. Just go." He side and left the house. I set the table for breakfast and woke my siblings up. I fixed Mary a bottle and fed her while everyone else ate. I dressed Mary and packed everyone's lunches. "Mari!" I called.
   "I've got it, Jack. Just take Mary." I hugged her tight and picked up Mary.
   "Love ya, Mar."
   "Love you too. Now go!" I hurried out to the car and strapped Mary into her car seat. I started driving and she babbled about nothing in the back. I have four siblings total. Martha is thirteen, Henry is nine, James is seven, and Mary is two. I parked at the day care and hurried to get Mary out. I hurried inside and hit the bell on the desk.
   "Mrs. Schuyler!" I called, she came hurrying over and took Mary.
   "Go. You'll be late on your first day." She smiled, I hurried back out to my car and sped off to school. When I got there I hurried into school and relaxed seeing there was still ten minutes until the first bell rang. Peggy came bouncing up to me and I laughed. She's only a sophomore but she hangs out with seniors since one of her sisters is a friend of ours.
   "Hey, Pegs."
   "Hey, you're actually on time."
   "Yeah. Where's Laf?"
   "Family stuff. Is it me or is he being weird and cryptic all of a sudden?"
   "Nope. It's definitely not you." I sighed, Peggy groaned and kicked a locker.
   "Wanna come over after school? I haven't had human contact in ages."
   "Sorry, Pegs. Dad has to work late. Maybe another time?"
   "Totally. Hey, HERC!" Hercules jumped a bit and chuckled.
   "How was summer, Pegs?"
   "Awful. This one was on babysitting duty." I chuckled a bit and Herc laughed. "What's up with Laf? He's been acting really weird and-"
   "He won't tell me anything either."
   "What! But y'all are soulmates!" I reasoned.
   "You don't know that for sure and he refused to say a word."
   "Hercules Mulligan, there has been French on your arm more than once and it's not stupid little phrases."
   "So what? It doesn't matter!" I rolled my eyes and sighed.
   "Whatever you need to tell yourself." The first bell rang and I sighed. "See y'all at lunch." I lumbered to class and fell into my seat. My stomach rumbles and I realized I hadn't eaten breakfast. I sighed heavily and tried to ignore it as the teacher began her lesson.   I found myself zoning out and doodling on my arm. I've always loved art but my dad wanted me to follow in his footsteps. Take over the company and become an amazing lawyer. I've never quite cared for the law but it pays better than art. I drew a very detailed flower with the fine tip pens Martha got me for my birthday last year and did not pay attention. Each class wasn't much different. I doodled on papers and even almost fell asleep. By the time lunch rolled around I was done with all of this.
   "John!" Peggy jumped on my back and I stumbled. "Take me off campus for lunch?" She pouted and I rolled my eyes.
   "Same thing I told you last year. You can't go off campus yet."
   "But you'll be gone next year!" She whined.
   "Then I'll come pick you up and take you out to lunch. I'm staying in New York for college."
   "You're no fun." I rolled my eyes and ushered her to the lunch table. "Where's Laffy?"
   "I don't know." Herc mumbled sadly. "Haven't seen him all day and he's being curt every time I text him." Eliza slid into the seat next to me and grinned.
   "Did you see the new kid?" She giggled. "He's so cute!" She gushed.
   "Then go talk to him, Liz." Angelica teased, Eliza turned bright red and giggled.
   "I could never!"
   "Hey, guys!" A heavy French accent chirped, Herc out of his seat so fast Lafayette didn't even have time to react. "Mon âme sœur!" Laf gasped as Herc crushed him in a tight hug. 
   "Where have you been all day! I've missed you!" Herc gushed.
   "I've been dealing with something. I have someone for you guys to meet." He smiled, pushing someone forward us. Eliza blushed hard and the boy shifted. "Guys, this is Alex. He's sixteen but he's a senior like us."
   "Hi." He smiled a bit and Eliza pulled out a seat next to her.
   "I'm Eliza. You can sit here if you'd like?"
   "Sure." He sat on the edge of the seat and Laf slid into his seat next to Herc.
   "Alex, this is Angelica, Peggy, Hercules, and that's John." I have a little wave and he smiled.
   "I've heard a lot about you guys. It's nice to finally meet you."
   "Well, we've heard nothing about you. Where are you from?"
   "The Caribbean." The girls got really interests in him real fast and I chuckled. He was attractive and outgoing despite his obvious anxiety. I quickly noticed he didn't have lunch and offered him my sandwich. "N-no. That's ok. I'm fine."
   "Nah, it's fine. Just take it." He reluctantly took it and ate it. I honestly didn't mind giving it to him. He was a stick. He needed to eat more than me. When the bell rang Laf helped him up and I noticed he walked with a limp. He was pretty good at hiding it but you'd see it sooner or later. I made my way to class and found that Alex had history the same time as me.
   "Is this seat taken?" He asked quietly.
   "No, not at all." I smiled, he fell into the seat and I noticed he sat with his right leg straight out. The bell rang and I pulled out my notebook, turning back to doodling.