Detention

A/N - I have not gotten one question and it's making me sad

John's POV

   "Mr. Laurens!" I jumped and looked up. "Can you tell me the answer to this equation?"
   "Um...three?"
   "No, see me after class." My dad is going to kill me. I'm exhausted. I was up all night with Mary and her stupid ever so dad could be well rested for court tomorrow.

   "Sir?"
   "Mr. Laurens, I have caught you falling asleep in my class more than once in the last three days."
   "It's not my fault your class is boring." I mumbled without thinking.
   "Detention, Laurens!"
   "What! Wait! No! You don't understand! I have-"
   "Out of my classroom." I stumbled into the hall and bumped into Alex.
   "Hey." He smiled.
   "Hi."
   "Is everything ok?"
   "I got detention for falling asleep in class."
   "Oh..."
   "I fucking hate my life." I groaned, Alex pat my back and stopped at his locker. I started to cry. I couldn't stop it. It just happened. Alex gasped and I tried to hide it.
   "John? Hey. It's gonna be ok." He rubbed my shoulder and I put my head against the lockers.
   "Martha has to go to the library after school. Dad's staying late and I can't leave them home alone. I just want everything to go back to the way it was." I cried, Alex bit his lip and sighed.
   "I can see if I can babysit." I looked down at him and he smiled.
   "No, I-...I can pay you. I'm sorry."
   "Don't worry about it. It's a favor." He smiled, I sighed heavily and Alex shut his locker. "Don't worry. It'll all be ok. You're just stressed out." We walked to lunch together and sat down beside each other. I got ahold of myself and Alex rubbed my back. "Why don't you put your head down and take a nap?" I nodded and put my head down on the table, falling asleep.

   "John. Hey, wake up. Come on." Alex cooed, I sat up a bit and rubbed my eyes. "The bell rang."
   "Oh." I got up and Alex got my bag. "Did I miss anything."
   "No. We were just talking about random shit." Alex hummed, we walked down the hall in silence.
   "Thank you." I mumbled, sitting down in my seat.
   "No problem." Alex smiled. "What are friends for?"
   "Yeah." It was hard to stay focused but I didn't fall asleep. I doodled on my arm though and Alex kept looking at his wrist and rolling his eyes. I doodled cartoons on a piece of paper and showed him, getting him to smile and laugh. His laugh was cute. I wanted to hear it more.
   "Why don't you do something with your art?" He asked near the end of class.
   "You can't do anything with art. You don't make money. Besides, my dad has been grooming me to take over the company." Alex's eyes softened and he stared at his paper. The bell rang and I hurried off to my next class.

   "Ok. Mary needs to in bed by seven. Ask Henry to help you if you need it. James will whine if you don't give him Dino nuggets. If you just assert your dominance Henry will shut up. I honestly have no clue how to put Mary to bed without locking the door and listening to her scream and cry for the next thirty minutes. Martha should be home by seven and she can help too."
   "I thought you said you'd be done by five?"
   "Worse case scenario. My math teacher likes to talk." Alex giggled and I hugged him. "Thank you so much. I promise I'll make it up too you."
   "Don't worry about it. You're gonna get more detention if you're late." He teased, I took off running down the hall and tore into the classroom.
   "Mr. Laurens, one minute late." Simcoe drawled.
   "Sir, please. I-"
   "Ah Ah Ah. Sit and silent. Now phones. Just do work and if you don't have any I'll give you some."

Fuck