New Traditions

A/N - Guys we have ship name for James and Evelyn courtesy of @marls176 and it is Jevelyn and it's the cutest thing ever

James' POV

"Jim?" Evelyn asked, I glanced at her as she traced a line down my bare chest. "Do you think Alex likes the house?" She asked quietly.
"Eve, stop that. You're just gonna drive yourself crazy." Ever since we got married she's been freaking out about whether or not Alex likes her. 
   "I just-" I kissed her and she smiled. "I feel like he hates me." She mumbled.
   "He doesn't hate you. He's just not used to you. He hasn't had someone else living with him since mom...It's a little difficult for both of us." I smiled, Evelyn sighed and kissed me. 
   "I know. I just-...I really want him to like me." She mumbled. 
   "If he doesn't like you then he's dumb." She chuckled a bit and sighed. 
   "Don't say that about your brother." I heard Alex and John giggling about something in the next room over. I smiled and kissed her. "They're so cute." She hummed.
   "Yeah. I'm glad I didn't kill him." I chuckled, Evelyn flicked me and I laughed. 
   "He seems like a sweet kid and he really does love Alex." 
   "Yeah...I'm glad. He deserves someone who loves him as much, if not more, than I do." Evelyn smiled and ran her fingers through my scruffy brown hair. 
   "Do you like the house?" 
   "It's a house. I've never had a house. Of course I like the house. It's not too nice, it's not too awful. It's perfect, baby." She was the one who picked out the house, she did amazing. I kissed her and she ruffled my hair. "I need to cut that shit." 
   "No! It's cute!" She gushed, playing with my hair. 
   "Fine. I'll keep it but only because you like it." 
   "Wow, I am honored." We laughed and she laid her head on my shoulder. 
   "Goodnight, baby." 
   "Goodnight, Jim." 

   "Alex." I grabbed his arm and he paused. "Hey, can you talk to Evelyn later? She thinks you...hate her." I whispered.
   "What!"
   "She's afraid you don't like her." Alex glanced down the hall and smiled. 
   "I'll talk to her." 

Evelyn's POV

   "Hey, Evelyn?" I looked up from making dinner and smiled. 
   "Hey, Alex. How was school?" 
   "It was good. Can I talk to you?" I frowned and turn away from the stove a bit. 
   "Sure. What's up?" 
   "James told me you-...He said you think I don't like you." I turned crimson and sighed. 
   "I-um-"
   "You don't need to explain yourself." He smiled. "I'm happy you too are married. You're nice to him and you understand our...situation. It's just a little...different. The last time anyone lived with us was our mom and-...I guess I just wasn't...ready." He sniffed a bit and I abandoned dinner, hugging him as he started to cry. "Th-The other day I almost called you 'mom'." He cried, I felt a pang in my heart. "I'm sorry I've been cold." 
   "Oh, honey. It's ok."
   "I-I miss my mom." 
   "I know. I know." I let Alex cry and soon smoke rose from the stove. 
   "Oh no. Um-...I'm sorry." 
   "Don't apologize, honey. How about you and I go out and we can talk?"
   "What about James?"
   "Eh, he can order a pizza." Alex giggled and I smiled. 
   "I'll go put on some real clothes." Alex hobbled up the stairs and James came in. 
   "What happened to dinner?" 
   "Tears happened...Thank you." 
   "For what?" 
   "Sending him to talk to me." I hummed, pecking his cheek. 
   "I didn't-"
   "Yes, you did."
   "Fine, I did. I'm glad it's been clear up."
   "Order a pizza. We're going to get dinner." I smiled, James smiled and brushed my hair back. "Let me just clean this-"
   "I got it. Go on." I smiled and kissed him before grabbing my bag and following Alex to the car. 

   "So...your mom-" Alex paused and sighed. "You know... My mom never really cared for me." He frowned and I sighed. "I know it's nothing like loosing someone you're close too but...I was always last on her list. I have two younger brothers and...All my life I was pushed aside. Forgotten." 
   "How so?" 
   "Well...They played baseball and she could remember their schedule without even trying but my consistent, constantly reminded, schedule was too hard to remember. So I'd remind her and she'd yell at me for 'not reminding her'." I made air quotes and stuffed a few fries in my mouth. 
   "I never got to spend much time with her." Alex mumbled. "She was always working and she'd come home and go right to sleep. Then James started working too and I was all alone." He sniffed. "I just wish I could've spent more time with her." 
   "She was sick...right?" 
   "Yeah, she got me sick too." 
   "Was it the flu?" 
   "The doctors had no idea. We couldn't move, we were coughing, we had ridiculously high fevers." He sighed. 
   "Wow. That sounds awful." Alex nodded and I grinned. "How about some dessert."
   "Oh, you can ask John. That is the fastest way to my heart." He grinned, I laughed and we each got an ice cream sundae. "I've never done this." 
   "You come here with John all the time-"
   "No...I mean...I've never had dinner with a...mother figure. Well...Not since I was nine." I smiled warmly and Alex stared down at the sundae before him. 
   "Maybe we can make this a tradition?" 
   "Really!" He grinned.
   "Of course!" I smiled. "It can be our thing." Alex grinned and dug into his sundae.