What Are Friends For?

A/N - I wrote part of this on my computer and had to go back and delete a fuck ton of spaces and shit kill me

🟣

John's POV

   "Alex, can you help me?" I mumbled, dropping into my seat at lunch. Alex hid his wrist from me and I grinned. "Are y'all talking about soulmates?"
   "Yeah." Laf hummed.
   "Have you found yours yet?" I asked, Alex opened his mouth but Laf cut him off.
   "He doesn't believe in it."
   "LAF!"
   "What? It's just John." Alex rolled his eyes and I frowned.
   "Why don't you believe?"
   "Because...Someone is just supposed to fall in love with me for who I am?"
   "YES!" Laf huffed.
   "Well not immediately. It'll take some time."
   "What if they never love me?" Alex pouted.
   "Why would you say that?" 
   "I can give you one pretty good fucking reason." Alex grumbled.
   "Alex, that's not even a good reason!" Laf huffed, I frowned but didn't ask and Alex turned to me.
   "You said you needed help?"
   "Oh, yeah. Are you any good at calculus?"
   "Yeah." He smiled, I pulled out my work and Alex scooted closer to me. He peered over my shoulder and I felt myself blush as his violet eyes met mine. "Well. There's your problem." He explained the problem to me and I chuckled. I fixed it and he made me do another problem to make sure I got it. I thanked him and put my work away.
   "Francis, hasn't bothered you has he?"
   "He asked me out this morning." Alex mumbled, my eyes widened and I looked at Laf.
   "What did you say?"
   "I was too afraid to say no." He sniffed.
   "Ok, it's ok. Just breathe. We'll figure it out." Alex buried his face in his hands and I rubbed his back.
   "What'd I do?"
   "Nothing. It's ok." The bell rang and I looked at Laf.
   "I have to get my textbook for my locker."
   "Ok, you go ahead. I'll meet you there." Alex limped away and I huffed.
   "What do we do?"
   "You two don't anything. I'll take care of it."
  "John, you can't seriously be-"
   "Yes, I can."

   "Hey, Franny." I smiled, he looked up from his phone and smiled.
   "Finally come to your senses?"
   "Yeah, I miss you."
   "Let's go to dinner tonight."
   "Oh, I can't tonight. I have to-" Francis' eyes darkened and I smiled. "Ok, tonight works." We started walking and I bit my lip. I hate how he makes me so powerless against him but that's how it works in an abusive relationship.
   "I'll pick you up at six."
   "Franny?" He looked over and I bit my lip. "I want you all to myself forever and ever." Francis smiled and kissed my cheek.
   "Of course, Pickles." I've always hated that nickname and I knew I wouldn't be able to walk tomorrow but that's the price I'm willing to pay to keep Alex safe. I just hope I can hide it from my dad. I'm doing this for Alex.

  "YOU DID WHAT!"
   "Sh! I had too, Martha."
   "Why?" She huffed.
   "He went after Alex."
   "You mean the one I told you to date? The one that's sweet and cute and is actually a friend and a good person."
   "Mari...I can't let Francis hurt him."
   "Than tell Washington!" Martha huffed, I sighed and Martha tossed me a shirt.
   "Francis hasn't done anything yet."
   "Why are you so hell bent on protecting Alex."
   "I don't know...I just-...He's perfect...He shouldn't have to live in fear like I did and do."
   "OMG! SOULMATES!" She squealed, I covered my ears and frowned.
   "No, he's way too good for me." Martha rolled her eyes and I chuckled. "Besides, he doesn't believe in soulmates."
   "Why not?"
   "He doesn't think his soulmate will just love him for him. Which is ridiculous because he's literally perfect- Oh my god...He might be my soulmate." Martha giggled and I huffed. "It doesn't matter. I'm with Francis now." She sighed and handed me my jacket. "I'm sorry you had to-"
   "I'll cancel a million plans for you, John. Now go." She shooed me out and I laughed.

   Francis pulled the chair out for me and I sat down. He sat in his seat and looked me up and down. "You couldn't have made an effort to look nice?"
   "You didn't tell me where you were taking me. I'm sorry."
   "Always with the excuses." Dinner was awful. Francis kept making mean comments and he literally dragged me to his car. He sped to an old service road no one used and stopped the car. He threw me in the back seat and started taking my clothes off. I panicked and tried to push him off.
   "No, Francis. I don't wanna-"
   "Shut up, slut!" I flinched and let him. When Francis wants something, he gets it.

   When he finished with me he tossed me out and dumped my clothes on the ground. I shivered and quickly got dressed. I grabbed my phone and called Laf, no answer. I called Herc, no answer. I tried Peggy, nothing. I started to cry. I didn't know what else to do. Then I saw the last number. I hesitated for a moment before calling it and pressing the phone to my ear. "Hello?" A groggy voice asked.
   "A-Alex?"
   "It's the middle of the night. Wait. Are you crying? What's wrong?"
   "I-I-um-..." I told him everything and he gasped. "I need help." I sobbed.
   "Ok, ok. Calm down. James!" I heard Alex hit his brother and James groaned. "Just hang tight. We're coming to get you."
   "Thank you." I sniffed.
   "What are friends for?"