Check-Up

A/N - I'm tired af

Alexander's POV
A Couple Days Later

   I shifted and played with the golden padlock around my neck. James noticed my new nervous tick and smiled. "It's alright, Lion. It's just a check-up." He hummed, I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. 
   "I know. I just-...Last time I was here I-" 
   "I know, Alex." James hugged me and I sniffed. "It'll be over before you know it." I felt my arm itching and I smiled, seeing John's handwriting drawing itself on my freckled skin. 
   'Good luck, Kitten <3' I smiled and James chuckled.
   "See. John's here for you." He smiled, I chuckled and leaned against him. I love my brother so god damn much. I can't loose him. 
   'I love you' John wrote.
   "Jamie, do you have a pen?" 
   "Uh, yeah. Here." He handed me a pen and I wrote back.
   'I love you too <3' I said because I meant it. I love John Laurens. When he gave me the padlock I-...I knew he meant what he said. He promised that he wouldn't leave, he promised that Francis meant nothing. I know we're just in high school but...I kinda want to spend the rest of my life with him and I know he does too. John started doodling on his arm and I watched, letting it calm me. He knows how nervous I was for this. The doctor called us in and I followed James. I sat on the observation table and I pulled up my pant leg. The doctor started to touch and press on the stump of my right leg and I squirmed a bit. I don't much like it when people touch it. It feels weird and I really don't like it. I know John's sweet about it and he likes to rub my thigh but...I don't much like him touching it. I'm getting better at letting him touch it. 
   "So." The doctor started. "Any unusual pains?" I shook my head. "Phantom pains?" 
   "No, sir." 
   "Good. I'm gonna get you fitted for a new prosthetic." I nodded and watched John draw as I got fitted. I hate taking off school and I miss watching John doodle in his sketchbook. He brings it to school now and we sit up in the library after school cuddling while we wait for traffic to die down. The parking lot is fucking shitty as hell. I love watching John draw. He sticks his tongue out and his ocean eyes flick all over the page. So I watched him draw a beautiful flower on my arm. 

   "Jacky!" I grinned as he ran to me and swept my up into his arms. He promised he'd take me to dinner after school. 
   "Ooh! I missed you, baby!" He kissed me and I giggled, letting him tangle his fingers in my hair as he held me. "Was it that bad?" He grinned.
   "No..." I mumbled.
   "I told you so." He chuckled, setting me on my foot and holding onto my so I don't fall. 
   "I will kick you in the dick."
   "You'll fall over."
   "Doesn't mean I won't try. Besides, that's not the worst that's ever happened." I chuckled and John rolled his eyes. 
   "Well, if you did that I couldn't-" I clapped a hand over his mouth and smiled. 
   "Don't finish that sentence." John pouted and I kissed him gently. 
   "Ready to go?"
   "Definitely." 

   "Hey, so I wanted to ask you something." John hummed as I stuffed my face with fries. 
   "What?" I managed, John chuckled and shifted. 
   "There's-um-...There's a school dance-well, actually. Um-"
   "Spit it out." I giggled.
   "There's this senior ball happening on Saturday and I was hoping you'd be my date?" He mumbled. 
   "John Laurens, we are soulmates and you have ask me?" I giggled.
   "Yeah, I mean...I don't know. Maybe it's moving too fast?"
   "You're cute. I'll go." I smiled, John beamed and I giggled. "I won't dance the whole time though. I will have to sit down." 
   "I know, baby. I can't dance anyway. Laf is dragging me to it and I figured I'd drag you too." I giggled and John smirked. "Now...How about dessert?"
   "Yes!" I gasped, John chuckled and we decided to split a chocolate sundae. I hate most of it and John just let me. He's so cute. He paid and took me home. He walked me to the door and kissed my goodnight. James opened the door and I blushed. 
   "Jamie!" I scolded, John blushed and chuckled awkwardly. He let go of my hands and I pouted.
   "Sorry, guys. Come on, Alex." 
   "Bye, Jack." I pushed myself up and kissed John's cheek before letting James help me inside. I plopped down on the bed and sighed. 
   "What's wrong?" 
   "Nothing. I just...I don't know." I shrugged, James smiled and hugged me. "What about you?"
   "What about me?" He frowned. 
   "Your soulmate, Jamie." He sighed, he huffed and kissed the side of my head. 
   "You're my only priority." 
   "James...you're eighteen. When are you gonna stop putting it off?"
   "I'm not putting it off." He grumbled.
   "Then what? Why aren't you dating? Why-"
   "Because." He grumbled.
   "But Jamie-"
   "I don't want what happened to mom to happen to me." He sighed, I huffed and looked over at him. 
   "You're a stupid fucking hypocrite."
   "Yes, thank you." James scoffed. "I needed that."
   "Jamie, ask out that girl!"
   "What girl?"
   "The one that you ask get flustered around. If you don't. I will!" 
   "Fine, fine." He sighed, hugging me from behind. "You're a stubborn little shit."
   "I know."