Chapter 5: The Scale

The concert yesterday had been a success as always. The BTS members really gave it all they got. Jungkook was especially on fire throughout the whole concert. He had been all energetic after that nice nap on the beach and having kept the scale from Y/N's tail, which he had placed safely in the small little box that he bought to store his gold coin in.

He had admired the scale last night as he had taken it out in the dark. The bright glow almost woke up the others in the dorms. It had felt so strange in his hands. The sides of the scale were sharp too. The edges almost sliced his finger open.

He wondered if it would be alright to just show his hyungs the scale. He wouldn't have to tell them that the scale is part of a mermaid's tail. He could simply tell them that he found it while strolling on the beach. Then again, if he said that then he probably would have asked him when did he go to the beach and then he would have to lie, which he didn't like doing. He sighed as he sat on his bed, staring at the scale in his hand.

It the afternoon. He and the other BTS members all had a day off today. He mostly spent the day in his bedroom admiring the pretty scale. He had even taken out his sketchbook and did some drawings of the scale. He even drew a sketch of Y/N. It wasn't too detailed and it wasn't coloured... at least not yet. Since he didn't have a clear picture of her. All he had was the selfie that she took, but it wasn't that good of a picture. It had been all blurry. He was doing it mainly off of memory.

"Jungkook? Can I come in?" Namjoon asked from the other side of Jungkook's bedroom door. Jungkook's head jolted up in alarm.

"H-Hang on a second hyung!" He answered, his voice panicked as he got up from his bed and rushed to his closet. He opened it up and quickly placed the scale back into the box with the coin and hid it before shoving his sketchbook under his bed. He rushed back to his bed and flopped on it while pretending to be scrolling on his phone. "Ok, you can come in now hyung."

Soon Namjoon opened the door and walked in. He approached Jungkook and sat down on the bed beside him. He looked at the younger.

"Jungkook, can I talk to you for a moment?" He asked curiously as he tapped the youngster's shoulder. Jungkook nodded as he sat up and looked at his hyung with his big doe eyes. "I was just wondering if there's something you're not telling us." Jungkook's eyes widened a bit in surprise and he gulped nervously, thinking that his hyung knew about his secret meet-ups.

"No, why do you ask that hyung?" He asked his hyung worriedly as he bit his lip nervously.

"Well, I noticed that your swim trunks were downstairs in the laundry room, drying on the rack and there was a big puddle along with a bunch of sand underneath," Namjoon started as he eyed the youngest member with a suspicious look. Jungkook tried his best not to look all panicky, but he was definitely feeling that way inside. He knew that he couldn't lie to his hyungs, but he also knew that he had to. He had to drum up a lie and quick.

"The sand was from the last time I went to the beach which was some days ago and yesterday I decided to wash it because it was making the laundry room smell all salty," he lied as he watched his hyung's reaction. Namjoon stared at him for a moment before nodding in understanding. He sighed softly in relief.

"Ah, ok, well, you can just put it in the wash you know," he stated with a shrug.

"I-I know. I just prefer washing them by hand and hanging them up to dry because it makes them last longer, especially the colour. I don't want the colour to fade," Jungkook went on a bit of a ramble as he nervously smiled at his hyung. Namjoon nodded back in understanding once again.

"Understandable. Alright, thank you for clearing that up. Now, there's one other thing that I wanted to ask you," he began again. Jungkook held his breath, scared for what his hyung would interrogate him with next. "Why did you ask if we could do concerts on the beach? I mean, it's a great idea, but what made you want to ask that?" Jungkook remained silent for a moment. He had to tell another lie. He fought with the guilt and came up with another lie.