Chapter 14: Her Past

It had been a few days since Jungkook had last seen Y/N. Ever since that night he went swimming with Y/N at night and almost got eaten by a shark and had seen that scary face on Y/N, Jungkook had been almost afraid to go down to the beach. Not really because he was afraid of her, but mostly because he just didn't know what to say to her and it was hard for him to not think about the scary face whenever he thought of her. Plus, he didn't see Y/N come to the beach. He assumed that she was in a similar predicament that he was in.

Ever since that night, he did more research into mermaids, going deeper into his research. The only thing he had come across were movies of mermaids, but they seemed all horror genre related. That wasn't what he was looking for though. He needed actual information, but out of the many encounters with mermaids, all of the information was fake. He knew that from the last time he had searched up about mermaids.

The only way he was going to get real answers was from Y/N, but if she wasn't going to give them to him then he wasn't going to have to go on without knowing. It bothered him though that all these questions built up and yet he had no answers to any of them. Despite him promising not to ask anymore questions about her, he needed to know to cure his curiosity and to maybe even get a better understanding of her.

He huffed as he minimized the browser on his computer. He stared at his blank screen computer with an irritated look. He had been staring at his computer screen all day, he was feeling a bit lightheaded. Plus, the fact that he hadn't eaten much and the fact that he hadn't been sleeping well these past few days made it worse. He was certain that his health wasn't in good shape.

He had been having nightmares. Not so much of Y/N's scary face, but of being trapped between the corals and having a shark stalking him nearby. His nightmares would always end up the shark opening its big jaws at him and then he would wake up.

He regretted leaving Y/N's side that night. If he hadn't left her side then he wouldn't have cut his leg and she wouldn't have had to scare off that shark. What happened that night, he knew that it was his fault and he knew that eventually he would have to apologize to her.

"Jungkook, come have some food," Namjoon said in a gentle voice as he walked into Jungkook's studio. The younger one glanced up at him with a somewhat tired and questioning look.

"Oh, hey hyung," Jungkook responded, his voice sounding strained as he rubbed at his face. His hyung walked over to him and sat down in the chair beside him.

"What's going on? You've been all jumpy one minute and then solemn the next minute. Did something happen?" Namjoon asked curiously and worriedly as he placed his hand on the younger one's knee, "We've all been worried about you."

"Sorry hyung. I'm fine, it's really nothing. I just have a lot on my mind right now," Jungkook responded with a weak smile as he stretched his arms out before standing up slowly, "Let's go eat now." He started walking towards the door while his hyung remained seated. His hyung glanced at the computer screen and noticed that there was a browser still opened, but it had just been minimized. Curious, he maximized the browser. His eyes widened when he saw that it was all research on mermaids and mermaid folklore. "Hyung! Are you coming?!"

"Yeah, I'm coming," Namjoon replied quickly to the younger one who was waiting outside of the studio for him. The elder one furrowed his eyebrows perplexed at the younger one's choice of research. Taking out his phone, he took a picture of the research before minimizing the browser then leaving the studio. Once he was out of the studio, Jungkook closed the door and locked it.

"So what are we having?" He asked curiously and hungrily as his stomach growled.

"Beef and vegetables with a side of noodles," his hyung answered with a small smile. He nodded in response as he followed his hyung into the kitchen where the others were all setting things up. When they saw him come in, they all smiled at him. He smiled back, but they automatically knew that it was a forced smile. It didn't have its usual pleasantness to it. Still, they decided not to push too much. They figured that when he was comfortable then he would tell them.