Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Matthew.

The Piccadilly line to Hammersmith was a smooth ride. Matthew felt as if he was positively gliding. He sat stony-faced while staring at the girl directly opposite. He offered her a lop-sided smile despite being aware that he should be keeping under the radar. She looked away and lifted her newspaper higher so she couldn't see his face. He thought that she was a stuck-up bitch. Tapping his fingers together he imagined what she'd do if she had any idea what he normally did to stuck-up bitches.

He felt himself sweat slightly and took out a tissue to dampen down his upper lip. The girl got off at the next stop giving him a haughty look before she left. Settling back down he breathed in a sigh of relief. Focus was the top priority, he needed to focus.

Thoughts of his daughter flooded him, once they were back together somehow they would find a way to leave the country, it was possible, anything was if you tried hard enough, hadn't he proved it!

Exiting at Hammersmith he was struck by how miserable it was. A grey place full of grey people and he couldn't imagine for one minute that his little girl would be happy living there. He thought back to her box underneath the arches at Waterloo and shuddered guessing that this was at least a small step up.

He walked purposely down King Street, his eyes scanning all the shops then backtracking realizing that he was going in the wrong direction. Taking a detour down a side road he headed for the river with the wind blowing in his face. He likened it to his daughter being blown towards him, it was comforting. Once he had her there would be no more need for Phoenix, what a let-down he had proved to be...unlike Melissa or( Kizzy), whatever she called herself these days. He smiled at the thought recalling how hard she had fought him and how devious she could be. No matter what she said he knew that they were the same, it was just taking her a while to see it.

He followed the roads scanning all the street names. The River Thames rippled past, a huge keeper of secrets and he wondered what the state of Phoenix's mother's corpse would be like now... ugh. He tittered thinking that the Police were seriously overrated, he was here, free as a bird, and where the Hell were they?

On the next road he exhaled, he had arrived. He walked forward, there would be no more running.

Way back in his youth, he had been an avid peeping Tom, so silently gaining access to the back garden was easy. He found a little spot that allowed him to peer into the kitchen without being seen. He heard the dogs barking and inwardly cursed. He would deal with them as soon as he was inside.

There was not a lot to see in the kitchen but the door was ajar allowing him a tiny glimpse into the front room. He sighed, just as he'd thought, layabouts! The younger generation today had no standards, the door pushed open and he just about had time to crouch down. His heartbeat quickened as he saw her. There she was, a lot more grown-up than the last time he had set eyes on her but nevertheless still his angel. His eyes traveled to her body and how the the white t-shirt clung to her curves and further down the way the jeans hugged her shapely firm legs. His mouth watered, that would have to wait, first things first.