Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Benita.

She woke up in the kitchen having dosed off at the table. It felt late and something told her that Phoenix had gone. She hurried upstairs and opened the wardrobe, thankfully his clothes were still there. At least he hadn't left.

She turned to Lucky's empty cot and the tears started again. She checked the bedside table to see if Phoenix had left a note, there was nothing. Her heart lurched, he was normally so considerate.

Phoenix.

He made his way to the Bakery approaching it slowly. It didn't even look like it belonged to them anymore. There was something war- torn and barren about it. The silence was screaming. He shivered as he took his keys out.

Unlocking the door he pushed against it feeling the weight of all the mail that had accumulated behind. Once inside he locked the door and looked around. His eyes spied the coffee cup by the window...Kizzy's seat. His heart leapt then he hurriedly checked under the chair to see if she had left any clues to her whereabouts. There wasn't any, he scratched his head in frustration and decided to head to Old Compton Street to see if he could spot her.

Kizzy.

Well as if the day couldn't get any stranger! We spent the night together almost like a normal couple...then I woke up with reality screaming in my face, "Get the kid and GO."

Dante zips about, a man on a mission. He seems to be packing. "What's going on?" I ask, certain that I'm not going to like the answer. He looks at me like I'm a dummy shaking his head,

"We can't stay here the Police will be on to us sooner or later."

An hour later we are all standing outside. Lucky is looking around in confusion. Dante is smiling a deep strange smile as if he has been taken over by someone else. He is holding one of those old lanterns and swinging it from side to side like a pendulum.

"Dante what... What is this?"

He looks at Lucky then me... there is something soft in his expression. Lucky starts crying so I carefully place the dummy into her mouth. I glance around wildly, "So I take it you're letting us go then?"

He shakes his head, "No can do I'm afraid, but I do have an alternative..."

I raise my eyebrow, "I'm all ears..."

He holds one of my hands, "Come with me, I want you to come with me."

My shock has nowhere to hide.

"But... well what about Lucky? She needs to be back with her Mum."

"I can't allow that Kiz. Look we'll be a family, a ready- made family."

This is fucking madness.

"Dante we're not a family. Benita's my sister, Lucky's her kid!"

He smiles calmly, "We can change the narrative. We don't always have to do what society dictates."

I look around helplessly as if expecting an escape route to suddenly open up and dazzle. There is nothing just a heavy sense of anticipation with a cluster of sticky decisions to be made. God...why is this even debatable?

The wind whistles and my hair blows wildly around my face. For a split- second I wonder if I look beautiful then Lucky grabs my ankle so I pick her up.

A voice is whispering, 'Play along if you want to get out of here.' Then I'm wondering what he'll do if I out and out refuse?... What then...will he kill us?

Very slowly I give a seductive smile, "Ok, we'll come."

He beams, "I knew you'd see sense."

Cocky little Shithead!

"I can see that you love me," I say laughing to cover my embarrassment, although I'm kind of wondering if there is any truth in what he's saying...it's fucking tragic.

We both look at the caravan then as if in slow motion he throws the lantern. The whole place has been doused in petrol and I watch transfixed as the flames leap to life. I stand agog before he grabs me, "Get in the fucking van!"

The flames spit and spark gaining the strength of the Devil. Lucky screams blue murder as I allow him to push us into the van.

He jumps in and the engine roars to life. I stare open mouthed at the burning. It's fierce and darkly romantic, it reminds me of a scene from the 80s movie 'Betty Blue'... The only difference is we are now fugitives.