Chapter 23

I could feel the danger in the air as the twins returned.  I jumped a bit as they seemed to appear from thin air, but quickly recovered.  They stood in silence, tense, staring at nothing.  "My love..."

She slowly turned deep purple eyes towards me and softened a fraction.  "This... they better be glad you calmed me last night or there would be no territory let alone a party."

I walked over and cupped her face in my hands.  "What happened?"

She heaved a slow breath, I couldn't miss how their shadows seemed restless as well, rippling in waves as they responded to their masters.  "Sit... we have a lot to discuss.  And lose the shirt."

I blinked.  "What?"

She smirked.  "Don't trust me?"

I smiled softly.  "If that's what you want."

She ushered me into a chair as her Gamma began to lay out what looked a lot like paint.  "Do you miss your mark, Ezekiel?"

I bit my lip.  "Of course."

She giggled.  "Well, this is temporary, but it will do for the night."

I could only nod as she dipped a small brush into the black ink and then set to drawing on my shoulder.  "Could just bite me."

She chuckled.  "No, there is a lot that hasn't happened that may make you regret it later."

I shook my head.  "Never."

I tensed as her lips touched my skin, making her chuckle again.  "We'll see."

Xavier plopped unto the couch.  "Okay, so what we found... I gathered that this is an event to start off their 'Hunt'.  Which is basically where they find people and deliver them to the king."  His expression darkened.  "From what I heard these people are used for different things; a rise in power, expanding territories, and... sex."

Violet paused for a second.  "Apparently, after our stunts with the Warden and king, we earned ourselves pretty targets on our backs.  In the end though, they want us alive."

She resumed as Ray went back to skimming the book.  "None of these listed are sworn to him either and pose a threat to their rule."

Xavier sighed as he nodded.  "But that leaves to question... why?"

Violet wiped something off in a spot.  "This is a slave trade, blackmail, and extortion on a grand scale.  But what they don't know why they are aiming for our packs.  Little information has been given as to why we are so desired."

I felt her force herself to relax.  "This Alpha... Luke... he plans on using us to overthrow this king and take power for himself."

I frowned.  "What aren't you saying, Violet?"

Her hands stilled.  "He wants to kill you and take me for himself.  What put the nail in his coffin... he hopes to find Zoey and use her against us."  She took a breath.  "To use us as they see fit... in any way they see fit."

I balled my fists.  "That will never happen."

I felt her warmth vanish as she stepped back.  "No, if they come near either of you.  They will die slow, painful deaths.  That much is certain."

Ray went to join her.  "You next?"

I felt my mate's hand on each side of what she drew.  "Zoey could have done better..."

I felt my skim warm, then cool before I looked at what she did.  I smiled seeing the lunar Vin Diagram that was taken from me.  I missed the mark more than I realized.  "It looks great."