Chapter 54

Getting up the next day proved just as hard as the first.  I struggled as it felt my depression would suffocate me and dragged to the shower.  Fresh tears washed down the drain and I got dressed to go the packhouse.  This was worse than when she left me to take care of my pack what felt like ages ago.

It was unbelievable it had been little more than nine months since she came back into my life.  I looked at the calander.  Her birthday was soon, I had everything planned and knew she would pretend to hate every bit of it.  I clenched my jaw and took a breath, forcing myself to leave my impromptu living arrangements.

William noticed I couldn't go home and had an apartment set up for me.  Zoey and Derrick were relocated to Xavier's and she was in rare form from what I gathered.  She wouldn't see me, let alone talk to me after what happened.  I worried, most nights it was Violet who put her to sleep, now...

I bit my lip, she may not want anything to do with me, but I knew something that might help her.  I went over to the toy store and the owner looked up at me sadly.  "Can I help you, Alpha?"

I almost broke down right there, she didn't even seem angry with me after what happened.  "I... I need a bear that can record or something like that."

She smiled softly.  "I think I have just the thing."

She went to the door and locked it, turning on the closed sign before disappearing to the back.  It confused me, I was pretty sure she was about the kill me.  Instead, she came back with a white bear and a small device, placing both in my hands.  "Push to record... listen and try again if you don't like it.  When you finish, I'll fix the rest."

She disappeared again and I found a chair to scroll through my phone.  I found a video neither of my girls knew I recorded and pressed play.  Tears streamed down my face as I paused it and tinkered with the device.  It took five tries before I got it perfect, between my tears blurring my vision and shaky fingers.

I finished watching it and put my phone away.  "I... I think this is good."

Regina returned tears in her eyes.  "I'm so sorry... I... she loved you and little Zoey with all she was."

I nodded and she caught me off guard as she hugged me.  "I..."

She shook her head.  "We all feel pain, but yours, Zoey's, and that of her council... that pain must be an unspeakable burden."

She let me go and took the things away.  "Would you like clothes for it?"

I shook my head.  "That's my next stop, actually."

She simply nodded and quickly went to fix the toy.  I had all but recovered when she returned.  "No charge."

I swallowed the lump in my throat and slid $200 into her hand.  "You and I both know... that simply won't do."

She sniffed as she smiled softly.  "No... it wouldn't."

I went to Violet's seamstress next and she glared at the door before softening.  "How can I help you, Alpha?"

I bit my lip as I pulled a pillowcase from my pocket and showed her the bear.  She gently took it from my hands.  "Ms. Gale... It holds her scent..."

The woman nodded, eyes misting.  "It'll be perfect.  Nothing too showy, definitely not anything that shows interest in the Season..."

My hands were shaking.  "That would just be atrocious and nothing too long."

She swallowed.  "Because... who can play hide and seek with all that material in the way.  And pockets... lots of pockets."

I smiled for the first time since the attack.  "How else are you supposed to hide sharp, pointy things?"