Chapter 35

Stepping into the apartment, I was impressed. It was spotless and organized, almost as if no one, let alone children lived there. I didn't risk releasing my shadows just yet as I slowly made my way through. I knelt when I found a bag in a closet and carefully examined the items.

Everything was normal, clothes, grooming tools, toothbrush. I narrowed my eyes as I felt along the seams of the bag, smiling when I found a loose corner. I dug in it and pulled out a picture. Lucinda and the kids stood with 2 others, a man and a woman. The man was holding the other woman as his hand was on Lucinda's shoulder.

I could see small similarities between them, their noses and smiles, but otherwise they looked completely different. Interesting... a brother maybe?

I sighed and replaced everything, then searched through the kids things. I found other pictures of the five of them, noting they looked like the two I hadn't met before. Okay... getting an idea of what's going on then.

I paused as I felt someone approach and put everything back the way I found it. I went to stand in a corner as the front door opened. "Luce... this pack is really nice."

Lucinda smiled at the younger boy. "I know."

The older sighed. "Do we have to hurt them?"

She paused and closed her eyes. "I... I'm trying my best not to."

I raised my eyebrows. "But Daddy..."

She rubbed her face in frustration. "I know... I just need time to figure this all out."

The elder boy tilted his head. "Why not ask them for help?"

She looked at him in surprise. "What would make you say that?"

He smiled. "They are strong... they can get Daddy and bring him here."

The younger nodded. "Then... you can be with the boy you like."

The pain written on her face gave me all the ammunition I needed. "That's the grand palace boys... no one can get in and out freely."

They both groaned. "That's so stupid."

"I wish all the mean people would just die."

She held up her hand. "Stop that... I will try to think of something before the time comes, but with that old crow here... I may not have as much as I thought. Let's go and enjoy this night at least."

They ran to their rooms and brought back some toys. "Maybe the white haired girl will play with us."

The younger boy giggled. "She may like these."

Lucinda smiled softly. "You really do like it here, don't you? She isn't always nice to you."

The older boy shrugged. "She is nice... just... different, but in a good way."

The other nodded. "She likes when we play with her, but acts like she doesn't."

I dropped my head as her eyes began to mist. "I wish... I wish we found this place before."

Both boys hugged her. "It's okay..."

"It'll work out..."

She sniffed. "You sound so sure."

They both smiled. "Because the dark lady told us."

"She said that it would be alright."

My head jerked up. "What dark lady?"

The younger one started to pull her towards the door. "The one that comes when we sleep."

The elder nodded. "She visits our dreams."