Chapter 97

The sun was high when the last of the enemy fell and I looked toward the fake territory. "Any issues, Baby Girl?"

I felt her giggle. "No, a few tried to get here and burned up."

I smiled. "Come, see what you can see."

Ezekiel and Alastair approached and I turned away from them. We ignored their whine and smirked at Romulus. "I think I won."

He scowled behind me. "If not for that bastard, it wouldn't be so."

Xavier appeared beside me. "I don't believe it."

I smirked. "Let's collect the heads of our kills and compare."

Ray giggled. "Let's..." She glared at our mates. "You ruined it... she was just playing around before you got hurt."

I heard them huff and plop on the ground as more than Zoey came to view the scene. We turned toward them as expression went from horror at the sight of our carnage to admiration as they saw us all alive. My sister skipped up to me. "There are a lot... help me?"

Charlotte rushed after her. "You sho-"

I held my hand up to her. "She is exactly where she needs to be." Her eyes widened as I offered my hand to Zoey. "Go for it, Ladybug."

She nodded and closed her eyes, pulling on my own Light as I watched.  A bright mist started to crawl over the dead. "They missed some, ViVi..."

I sighed. "Learn what you can and take the strays back." She stayed silent as I admired the scene. "Damn... there really were a lot."

Her eyes opened and she smiled. "I think... I can fix some of these. Okay..." She glanced around and ran to Derek who stood not far away. "I sleepy now."

He chuckled. "You worked hard, but bath and something to eat first."

I smiled softly as they headed back, herding our refugees as well. I finally looked at the black wolf. "Home and shower for you two. We'll take care of this."

They side-eyed me and I clenched my jaw. "I'd go, Man. They didn't even let Zoey patch you up."

They grumbled and laid their head on the ground, making me step forward. My flared my nostrils as my arm was grabbed. "It was a fight, people get hurt."

I snatched it away. "I don't give a shit, Xavier! He's mine and they hurt him."

My twin sighed. "And you killed the bastard and most of his brethren. Don't let your anger hurt him more."

I crossed my arms. "They deserve it."

He eyed the corpses. "How about this... we get the heads and you kill him later."

I huffed and threw my hands up. "Fine! But I'm torturing whoever I find alive."

He chuckled as I stormed off. "I'm cool with that too."

It was a set-up and I walked right into it as not one of the enemy I found were alive. However, I did win the bet, killing over a quarter of our foe in my rage. It was satisfying and William came up to me beaming. "So..."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "So what?"

He nodded to a pile of skulls. "He did get more than Xavier, who was second."

I pursed my lips, proud, but unwilling to show it. "He still got himself injured."

He sighed. "And he stayed like a good boy as you detached heads from bodies. Look, didn't move an inch."

I saw him watching me out of the corner of his eye, in the same postion we left him in. "He was told to go home."

He rolled his eyes. "He wanted to see you win. Cut him a break."

I kicked the dirt. "I don't wanna."

He chuckled and pushed me toward him. "Go, beat his ass then patch him up. I refuse to become Alpha."

I grumbled and walked past him to gloat. "And now, you guys owe me a weekend. I might be mateless though, so... still expensive."

They groaned, but nodded. Romulus turned me by my shoulders. "His blood is tainting our lovely display. Go fix him."

I sighed. "Fine..." I frowned at the great black wolf. "Let's go." He slowly stood and I avoided looking at the wound though healing.

He nudged my hand. "We're sorry..."

I hugged their muzzle. "If you're gonna get hurt, then you can't participate."

They rubbed their head into our torso. "We can't say we won't get hurt, but we won't die."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Okay... let's get you healed."

They nudged us to their back and I was careful not to touch the gapping hole in their side as they raced for the house. I guess... we can't always protect them...

***

We made sure to show no pain as we took our mates back. When inside they carefully slid from our backs and bit their lips as their grey and purple eyes assessed the wound. "We're fine..."

They glared at us before going to the kitchen and coming back with water. They swirled it with a finger and it turned orange and a bright blue. After they dampened a cloth, we clenched our jaw as they began to clean it.

"You need to be more careful..." Tears were running down their face when we looked at them and we nuzzled their neck. They pushed our head away after a brief pat and placed their hands on the side of it. "Deep breaths, Love."

We inhaled and it got stuck as we felt muscle light on fire, but then exhaled as they cooled. They began to mend until the skin closed, leaving naked flesh in the place of the injury. They let out a small sigh of relief and gathered their items before disappearing again.

We followed, nudging their back. "We need to rest..."

They shook their heads and busied themselves with dinner. We growled and pushed them harder. "Stop it."

We caught their shirt before they could start cutting vegetables. "We eat later... rest now."

As we pulled them backwards, they snarled. "Let me go."

We got enough room between them and the counter and blocked their way back, pushing them to the bedroom. "Shower and bed."

They slapped our nose away. "Leave me be. If you're so tired then you go."

We huffed and shifted, pulling them into our arms. "Please... you're hurting."

They resisted, trying to get free. Then, hit our chest when we refused to let go. "They could have killed you! You were careless!"

Holding them tighter, we nuzzled their hair. "We know and are sorry."

A sob escaped them and they stopped assaulting us to hug us tight. "You can't..."

We sighed, feeling as their pain and fear seeped into us. It was mind numbing, but we carried them to the bedroom and turned on the shower when we got to the bathroom. "We know..."

They let us undress them and stepped in letting the water wash the blood away as we held them. When we felt they were settling, we cleaned us both and dried off to lay in the bed. "Does it hurt?"

We kissed the top of their head as they straddled us. "No. You did a good job healing us. Look, no scar."

We felt them frown into our chest. "Be glad it was me and not those healers from the school. They are not the best at getting rid of the evidence."

We stroked their hair and back. "Scars are okay, it's proof we survived."

They rubbed their faces into our chest as their breathing became labored. "Better to survive unscathed."

We chuckled and closed our eyes. "We'll do our best."