Chapter 25

Watching as Violet faded into nothing was mesmerizing.  It left me staring at the spot for a moment until I felt someone coming up behind me.  "Your mate is beautiful..."

I turned to face the voice.  "I would be a fool not to see that."

The man's eyes darted to the bathroom door.  "Such a sad thing it would be if someone were to steal her away."

I frowned as my temper flared.  "Never."

He chuckled and held his hand out to me.  "Romulus..."  I glanced at it before meeting his gaze.  "Don't worry.  I wouldn't harm something so precious.  That says nothing about others here."

I slowly grasped his hand, something about him was different yet familiar.  "What do you want?"

He shrugged.  "A warning..."  I stayed silent.  "Keep your girl safe, she has great purpose in this life."

I stiffly nodded.  "Of that I have no doubt."

He chuckled.  "As safe as she'll allow at least..."

I glanced around us.  "You're no wolf."

He smiled.  "And you are a perceptive one."

It clicked and I let out a slow breath.  "Why are you here?"

He looked toward the party.  "To ensure the girl's safety, nothing more."

I tilted my head.  "By who's order."

He started to walk away.  "Such details don't matter, enjoy your night."

I was perplexed and couldn't move from this spot.  Will... follow the fucking vamp.

Vamp?

Trust me... you'll know when you see it.

Got him... wait.  I can't...

I clenched my jaw.  Why?

He sighed.  Guess...

Suddenly, there was a hand on my sleeve.  "Did you miss me?"

I blinked down at Violet.  "Yes, My Love."

She nodded as I led her back.  There's vampires here.

Her head tilted.  Casters and other shifters as well.  Be still, they mean us no harm... for tonight at least.

We took our seats once more.  How do you know?

She sighed softly.  Apollo and his meddling has raised questions I don't need.  However, it can't be helped for now.

I stroked her cheek, her eyes were bright with mischief and I wanted to take her away from all of this.  How long before we leave?

She smirked.  In about... 5 minutes.

I didn't have time to question as Luke stood to address the party.  "I would like to thank everyone for coming tonight."  He turned his gaze to us.  "Especially to Alpha Ezekiel and his Luna V-"

He grimaced and cleared his throat.  "V-"  He clutched his stomach and grabbed the armrest of his chair.  I always detest when they call me Luna...

I pulled her closer to me.  "What's wrong with him?"

She kissed my cheek.  "Looks like a bad tummy ache, Love.  How sad he can't even keep himself composed for that."

That earned us a few glances as others chuckled.  "Agreed... he seemed quite strong until now."

"Can't even stand a stomach ache, pathetic."