Chapter 68

Kneeling in a courtyard, I felt at peace as I looked at the full moon.  "Tonight, they run..."  I missed my pack, their closeness, the safety we all fought to upkeep.  This place... it was making me yearn for that again.

"Violet?"  I looked out of the corner of my eye.  "Can I..."

I gestured to the grass beside me.  He sat, silent lost in his own storm of thoughts.  I tilted my head as I heard howling.  The man beside me tensed and I looked over at him.  What makes you cringe at the sound of my kind?

He shook his head.  "Nothing."

I closed my eyes and sighed as I felt they were approaching... or couldn't.  The barriers around the school were sound.  They aren't trying to get in, if that's what worries you.

He looked at me in surprise.  "I'm beginning to think I have nothing to teach you... quite the opposite in fact."

My gaze returned to the moon.  You have things to teach, things to learn, things to unlearn...

He nodded slowly.  "You were right.  The board has been searching far and wide for a healers to reverse what you did."

I smirked.  There is only one... she is kind, but she believes in the right thing.  Both actions were wrong, she will decide which was worse.

He pursed his lips.  "She will side with her sister."

I shook my head.  She will do as she feels led to do.

He sighed.  "Ready?"

I stood and gently touched his sleeve.  "It'll be okay."

I saw the pain cross his features.  "I hope so."

Silent we into into a large room that had a raised stage.  On it sat 6 older people, each looked very grim.  I suppose the dim lighting was supposed to either hide their faces or make this look scary.  I simply stood in the middle of the space and waited until the headmaster took his seat in the middle.

I didn't react when a door closed behind me, watching them as their faces contorted from pity to rage.  Aw... they like him... they really like him...

Fools...

I could only agree as Benjamin went to stand in front of me.  "This... demon..."  I smirked at the title.  "She is dangerous, she broke into my office and rendered my hands useless!  Once before she poisoned me.  All without cause!"

I arched an eyebrow as the woman to Dominic's right leaned forward.  "First... we will have an interpretor come since she cannot speak."

"My voice works just fine..."

All of the board looked at me in surprise and she cleared her throat.  "Is this true?"

I shrugged.  "Partially."

She frowned.  "So you poisoned and maimed a professor."

"Yes."

The board moved uncomfortably.  "Can you explain your actions?"

I looked at him and he flinched.  "He touched that which was not his."

He clenched his jaw.  "Lies!"

I sighed.  "I do not deal in lies and half truths, Caster."

He glared at me.  "Where is your proof?"

The wizened old man on the end coughed.  "We did investigate and we have found that since your arrival, the school has had a multitude of disturbances."