68. The Food Fest

[•Nuri's POV•]

Idris jumped into my arms as soon as I opened the door. "Nuri! I missed you so much!" he squealed. I couldn't help chuckling at the excited boy, "Even I missed you a lot" I kissed his head, squeezing his tiny figure. Edric smiled at us as he came up the stairs.

I had promised to go to his restaurant today, and Idris was ecstatic when he heard the news. Fatoş had left an hour back as she had to meet with her boss, and Yeşim was in the kitchen making coffee for herself. The boys agreed to wait downstairs when I said I'll be out in a minute. I didn't want to leave Yeşim alone for the day, though she insisted that I should go.

Yeşim was rather cold in the morning, which made me fear whether the effect of alcohol had worn off yet? She told me that she was mad at Özgür. It was true that both of them had overreacted last night but she claimed that he still loved her. She loved him a lot too, and I believed that was true because I had never seen them argue ever.

When I told her this she blinked, "Nuri, what are you talking about? We argue like every 5 minutes because of silly things but make up every 5 seconds. Either I go to him or he comes to me, but we have never been able to stay fighting for over 5 minutes" I had been dumbstruck at her reply. She told me that she would hunt for Özgür today, and talk out things with him rationally. Yeşim pushed me out of the door when she got fed up with me worrying. I sighed and went downstairs to meet the boys.

In the car, Idris elaborated every detail of his life that I had missed the past week. But whenever he mentioned Ferit's name, I felt a tug at my heart. He also mentioned that Demir had set up a home tutor for him. Idris had been getting bad grades at school, so he had to 'suffer' on weekdays, as per his description, with the tutor. He was too young to take tuitions, I felt. Even Edric didn't like the idea of it, but he couldn't do anything. Idris was only glad to be with us for the whole day.

We reached the restaurant, it was called 'The Eclair' I liked the name and the place looked classy. Idris ran around here and there, till Edric had to safely hold him in his grasp. Edric showed us the kitchen, the backyard, the front tables, and the rooms inside. What fascinated me was the greenery throughout. There were plants on every corner which gave a fresh feeling. I loved the place a lot.

"So what do you think?" Edric asked us both, "Super super awesome" replied Idris, and we laughed. "Nuri, you?" "It's the most beautiful restaurant I've ever seen" I replied honestly. "So is that a yes to my offer?" "What offer?" asked Idris. "I want Nuri to be a chef here, what do you think about it?" he asked Idris.

He was trying to persuade me using Idris. "Of course! Nuri you have to work here! In that way, I will be able to see you nearly every day! Please, please please, please" he begged. His puppy eyes worked well. "Ah, but Edric... I might return to Kerala in two weeks" I said. "Stay till then at least" he said.

In the end, I was forced to accept the job. It wasn't a bad idea though, I could earn some money on the way, steer clear of Demir and Burçu, meet Idris and return in two weeks. But I didn't want Ferit to know about it. He already thinks that I support Demir, if he finds out that I work with Edric now, he might just lose it.

×××

The city fair was in full swing.

I and a few others had set up our stalls near the children's rides. Ezgi was the volunteer, and she checked everyone's snacks one last time before we began business. The money we collected from selling our food was supposed to go to the local children's charity. Ezgi showed a thumbs up when she tasted my cookies dipped in chocolate syrup.

There were a lot of people everywhere, a lot of kids too. Suddenly in the crowd, I caught a glance of the person who was staring back at me. Time stood still, and it felt like everyone else had gone numb. Ferit was staring at me and he held my gaze. He looked dashing as usual in his suit. My heart began beating abnormally.