77. Our Walls

[•Nuri's POV•]

I grumbled curses under my breath and followed Ferit upstairs to his room. I couldn't believe that I missed this point! I didn't want to sleep with him after what happened last time. "We need to split the bed" I said when we entered the room, "You can't cut in half, it's one piece" He replied, as he began unbuttoning his shirt. "Very funny" I said and he took off his shirt.

I stared at him from the mirror, he was so gorgeous. He caught me looking at his naked torso, and I averted my gaze suddenly. An idea clicked in my head and I went outside the room to fetch all the pillows in the house. Ferit was already in his pajamas when I returned. He stared at me confusedly. "What are these for?" He asked when I climbed up the bed and placed them like a barrier.

"Protection" I replied without looking up at him. He sighed and laid down on his side, "I won't bite you Nuri" "I am not taking chances" I sneered. He rolled his eyes and turned his back at me. I was able to sleep peacefully this time.

×××

I felt extremely suffocated in the morning. I pushed the plushy things off my face and sat upon the bed, wiping the sweat off my face. Ferit was staring at me while drinking water from a bottle. He was wearing a hoodie with shorts, "Your great wall of China collapsed" He said with pretended sorrow. I got off the bed ignoring him.

"I am going out for a run, I will be back in half an hour" he said and I nodded okay. I went downstairs after dressing to make breakfast. Aygün hanim woke up by the time Ferit had returned. We had breakfast together for the first time, though Ferit didn't talk anything with his mother. At least I made him agree to eat with her, twice. I was glad that my plans were working.

After breakfast, Ferit agreed to drop me at the restaurant. "You shouldn't work with Demir" He frowned, "I told you that I am not. Edric is the owner" "You shouldn't work with either of them" He said, "Ferit, I agreed to this marriage on the condition that you wouldn't interfere in my business and I wouldn't interfere in yours" I retorted.

"But Nuri, this concerns both of us. If Demir or let alone Edric, finds out about our marriage, all our efforts will go to waste" He replied, "Then you shouldn't work with Burçu either, what if she knows about this fake marriage?" I raised an eyebrow. He sighed in irritation, not willing to argue further. When I got off at the restaurant, I turned to him, "If you want to stop me from working with Edric, then you might as well buy this place!" I scorned and went inside.

×××

I saw Edric sitting alone in one of the meeting rooms and went towards him, "Hey" I sat down next to him. He looked up, "Hey" "I haven't seen you in a long time" I smiled, "How are things with Ferit?" He asked, "Everything is good" "Your face tells me differently" He replied. "What do you mean Edric?" "You are not happy with Ferit" He said. What does he mean by that?

"Edric what are you talking about? I am very happy with Ferit" I said. He fell silent, and I knew I had to change the topic, "Let's talk something else... How is Idris?" I asked him. "You married Ferit just to get back Idris!" He pointed his finger at me and stormed out of the room. The way he acted scared me, I tried to go after him, but he had left already.

I was worried very worried, he wouldn't pick his calls either. But what terrified me most was him claiming our marriage fake. Our whole plan would collapse if he could prove it. I had to stay firm this time, I can't let anyone doubt our marriage but living with Ferit under this agreement was getting harder with every passing day.

×××

I was on my laptop, while Aygün hanim was reading a magazine on the adjacent couch. Edric didn't call me back yet, and neither did I tell Ferit about the incident. I tried to clear the uncomfortable thoughts by working, and Ferit came back from the kitchen with a tray in his hand. He made three cups of coffee and I was impressed.

"Here" he said and handed me a cup, while he handed another to his mother. Aygün hanim was shocked to see the sudden expression of kindness in her son. "Don't get used to it" He told us and sat down next to me, we couldn't help chuckling. "The coffee machine was broken so I made it myself" He announced proudly, "Nuri don't-" Aygün hanim tried to stop me and I realized why.

I felt like throwing up after taking a sip, "What did you put in this?" I asked disgusted by the taste. It was the most bitter coffee I'd ever tasted, "The normal ingredients" He replied and tried drinking it himself, but he couldn't either. "There's too much coffee powder and no sugar" I said, "Fine, I am sorry, I won't try cooking anything again" He grumbled, and went to the kitchen with his cup.

"He can't make anything, not even coffee" Aygün hanim told me. "I heard that" He replied from the kitchen. "I thought he might learn to cook something from Özgür at least, but no" She said as he returned from the kitchen and sat down near me, "Your wife runs a restaurant and you can't cook" Aygün hanim shook her head at him.

"Can we stop talking about this?" He crossed his arms, "That his other problem, he doesn't like anyone talking lowly of him" She said, and I chuckled again. "Anne" He said sternly, and she got up laughing. "Fine, fine, I am going" and she returned to her room. "How long is she going to stay here?" Ferit asked me when she left, and I laughed.

"What are you doing?" He turned towards me, leaning back on the couch while peeking at my laptop. "Planning a new menu" "Why?" He asked, "For the restaurant" "But it already has a menu" He replied. "How do you expect people to show up if you serve them the same thing all the time?" "Oh, so you are helping Edric make money? Okay, I understand" He nodded, "I am just doing my job" I replied coldly.

"Your desktop is cluttered" "So?" I was getting tired of his comments. "It will slow down your laptop. Clean it" "Ferit I've got to complete this in two days, I'll do it later" I replied. "Do it now Nuri" I finally turned towards him, "I told you something in the car today morning" and he sighed, "It won't take five minutes if you give it to me" He said and I knew that he wasn't going to stop bickering, so I handed him my laptop hesitantly. "I am going to make 'normal' coffee" I said and went to the kitchen.

"Nuri!" He gasped at my laptop when I brought back coffee to the living room. "Look at this!" He cried and I stared at the laptop curiously.

It was the file that ruined my life.

"You had this in your laptop?!" He got up excitedly. "Uh... Oh yes... I had copied it that day to check it out later... But then I forgot about it..." I mumbled. "You had this in your laptop the whole time! Why didn't you tell me?!" He held my shoulder, nearly shaking me in his excitement. "I forgot about it..." "I have been searching for this the whole time! This is the original document. I can kick Demir out with this" He said and his eyes gleamed.

To kick out Demir was his whole plan? Don't I get any credit for copying it to my laptop?

I stared at Ferit who was busy planning in his head. "I have a lot of work to do" He replied, and turned to go upstairs. "Coffee?" "Ah, thank you" He replied as he paced up the stairs with the cup I gave him. I wondered what he was going to do.

It was very late already and Ferit hadn't come to bed yet. I went to his study to check on him, "Are you still working?" I asked and he looked up. "Yes. I need to schedule a lot of things for tomorrow, you don't have to wait for me" He replied and turned back to his laptop. I closed the door behind me with a sigh.

__________________________
Last Edited: 19th January 2021