56. The Hearing

[•Ferit's POV•]

The conversation with Idris in the morning was the hardest one ever. Tears flowed down his cheeks when I told him that he might have to live with Demir and Leyla. "Hey, don't cry buddy... The judge might even let you stay with your uncle" I said. "But what if I have to stay with Leila teyze?" he asked rubbing his eyes. "Idris, if that happens, I promise that you will be back here with me and amca as soon as possible" I fondled his cheek.

 "Idris, if that happens, I promise that you will be back here with me and amca as soon as possible" I fondled his cheek

"It's not that I don't want to stay with them but... But... Won't I be able to see you till then? Or amca?" He asked and began crying again. I took him into my arms and he buried his head in my chest. Abi was talking to our lawyer in the living room and I headed downstairs with Idris. Özgür took Idris from my arms as soon as he saw him and kissed his head. "Hey, why are you crying?" "Won't I be able to see you again?" Idris sobbed.

"Shh... Don't say that... We will come to meet you often. Tamam?" Idris nodded hesitantly. "After the hearing is over, you will go to your new school" said Özgür and walked out to the garden with Idris in his arms. "You will meet new friends, and teachers too" "Will there be clubs?" asked Idris and Özgür laughed. "Sure, there will be so many clubs and your teacher said that you can join any two" he said.

A sad smile formed on my face, as I stood there watching them. Our chances of winning were less compared to Leila's but we would try our best. "Ferit bey the documents are ready... Now we'll have to wait and hear the judge's decision" said my lawyer. I nodded and went out to the garden to tell abi.

"Abi, we have to leave now" "But won't Nuri come? Does she know?" asked Idris suddenly. I was very much annoyed with her since last night so I didn't want her at court, "Idris, she won't come... Come on, the faster we get to the court, the faster we go to school" I said.

[•Nuri's POV•]

I spotted Edric's car and he halted in front of me. "Sorry that I'm late... The traffic in Istanbul is so bad today" he said. "That's okay..." I smiled at him and I got in. I wanted to see the hearing and Edric had called me last night to talk about it. He said he'd take me there and I gladly accepted.

"I still can't believe Demir is doing this" he said. I turned to him and raised an eyebrow, "I mean it... He was not like this before" he said, "Edric, I am keeping quiet only because he is your brother" "Hey, I know that he has put you in a difficult situation and I am very angry with him for that, but if you just tell Ferit then you won't feel so suffocated anymore. Don't care about Demir, just tell Ferit" he said.

I looked away. I couldn't tell Ferit bey what he wanted to hear last night... If I tell him what he hates to hear instead, I don't expect a pleasant outcome. "When are you going to tell him?" Edric was bugging me. "Uh... Soon... Maybe... So many things are happening and I don't want to think about that USB too" I said.

"You are right... But I think Ferit is overreacting" and I turned to him, "Abi surely wouldn't hurt someone... Let alone murder... It's absurd" he said. He would support Demir of course, but I had full faith in Ferit bey's hunch. "What do you think?" he asked. "Well, I... I don't know..." I mumbled. "But I want Idris to stay with Ferit bey" I said firmly.

Edric smiled, "I know you are worried about Idris. Don't worry, he won't be spending much time home since school starts today. He will come to my place after school, and after abi returns from the company, I will take him back. We will party till then" I chuckled and he grinned proudly, glad to have lightened the mood.

[•Ferit's POV•]

The hearing began and Idris was sitting close to me. Özgür was sitting near my lawyer, opposite to Leila and their lawyer. Demir was sitting near us and he sneered at me. Idris gripped my hand in fear "Abi, what is going to happen?" he asked me. At that time, Demir's lawyer began talking. "Your honor, my client is Leila Fariz. She is Idris's maternal aunt"

"He had been staying with his grandfather's brother-in-law, Tahir bey, after his parents' death. Sadly Tahir bey passed away recently..." he said. Idris squeezed my hand and I could feel his grief. A tear rolled down his cheek but he wiped it off immediately. "...Since the child was entrusted to him, he doesn't have a legal guardian now" he said, "Your honor, my client will be able to provide the child with all the love and care that he needs" he said.

The judge then heard our lawyer, "Your honor, Leila hanim only has blood relation with Idris. She, nor her husband has ever inquired about him for a long time. They are like strangers to the child. My client, Özgür bey has known Idris since he was born. Even he prefers to stay with his uncle" he ended.

Idris got restless in the first ten minutes itself and he whispered to me, "I wanna go home... I don't like it here" "We will go home soon buddy" I caressed his face. The door behind us flung open, and Edric appeared with Nuri behind him. I felt angry and disappointed at the same time when I saw them together. He took her everywhere he went and she went with him heartily. Well done Nuri.

Idris rushed towards her. "Nuri thank god you are here. Can we go somewhere else? I don't wanna stay here. Please..." he begged her. "Who are you both? You cannot barge in here like this" said the judge. "He's my brother sir..." Demir replied and motioned Edric to sit near him. "Nuri let's go" insisted Idris. "Can we go a little later dear?" "I wanna go now!" he nearly yelled. The judge agreed finally and Nuri led him outside. 

"Let's resume" said the judge and Demir's lawyer continued. "Your honor, Özgür bey, as we all know is a successful photographer but he also has an infamous reputation as a playboy" Özgür's face turned cold then. "He has been seen leaving nightclubs with women multiple times..." he said and handed magazines to the court. I pressed my brows in frustration as the judge flipped through the pages.

"Your honor, this proves that Özgür Bayas is not the ideal guardian for such a young child" he said. "If I am not capable of looking after Idris then Ferit will take care of him as his son" said Özgür glaring at the lawyer and then turned to me with confident eyes. Their lawyer imitated Demir's mocking smirk and said. "Your honor, my client's husband, Demir bey has something to say" he said.

Demir got up in a well-planned fashion and took the stand "Your honor, I have known Ferit and Özgür for quite a long time. They might be successful in their career but they don't know what human sentiments are. They have a cold attitude towards everyone, especially Ferit. Your honor, he even accused me of murdering his father without any proof!" I clenched my fist.

"He came to my house and assaulted me. I have my brother and my wife here as witnesses, even the girl outside saw it" he said. No wonder why he asked Edric to stay. My blood was boiling inside me, but I realized that abi's had already turned to vapor. "Now Özgür might say that he left that life behind-" "Of course I left that life behind!" yelled Özgür. "Calm your client or I will have to ask him to leave" ordered the judge.

"Thank you sir, as I was saying since Özgür claims to be in a relationship right now. He might even marry her tomorrow just so he can get the child. How can I ever trust my nephew with a disgusting man like this and his aggressive brother?" he said glanced at me. Özgür gritted his teeth, "That's all I have to say, your honor. We just want the best for Idris" he said as he concluded.

The judge paused for a minute and spoke, "Result". Everyone got up but the judgment was obvious. "The guardianship of Idris Bayas is given to Leila Fariz" he said and got up to leave the room. Özgür could barely digest what he heard. 

__________________________
 Last Edited: 12th January 2021