81. Confessions

[•Ferit's POV•]

I was worried about Nuri's behavior for the past few days. She hadn't answered my texts though she had seen them. It felt as though I was hurting her too much. I sighed and glanced at Burçu who had been staring at me for some time now. I had agreed to drop her home as it was late at night. I stopped in front of her house and helped her keep the bags outside.

"Let's have a cup of coffee now that you're here" She offered, "No, sorry, I need to return home. Nuri is waiting" "Ferit, this is the least I can do for dropping me home" She said and I had to agree reluctantly. She led me inside and I waited on the couch, it was past ten already. Burçu returned from the kitchen with two cups of coffee and sat next to me.

"So tell me, how is the marriage going?" She asked, I was a bit hesitant to answer. "It's good. I am happy with Nuri" "You know, I was very surprised when you forgave Nuri... I never expected it, nobody did actually... I was just wondering, would you forgive me like that?" She asked, trying to hold my gaze. I felt my body tense. I had a bad feeling about this conversation.

"I thought we were over it. I don't want to drag the past along with me" I said and placed the cup back on the table. "Why won't you answer me Ferit? You forgave Nuri, why can't you forgive me?" "What you did cannot be compared to Nuri's crime" I angrily got up from the couch. "I told you it was an accident... But Nuri did it purposefully! Everyone knows your marriage is fake!" She shouted suddenly.

The Burçu I'd known first appeared again. I was wondering when her sugar-coated behavior would change to her normal selfish one. "I can't talk rubbish with you, I need to go home to Nuri" "All the time Nuri, Nuri, Nuri, Nuri! We could've been a million-dollar couple if you hadn't been this stupid! I just can't understand what you see so much in Nuri that I don't have?" She crossed her hands furiously.

Nuri was right all along. Burçu was the same toxic woman with a selfish heart of stone. "I love her because of the many ways she is different from you. I thought I had removed you from my life, but you come crawling back for forgiveness. The only thing you ever wanted was money. You are greedy and shameless. I am not going to stay here and talk nonsense with you Burçu. Also, don't show up in front of me again" And with that, I stormed off.

When I got back home, I found mom trying to contact Nuri. "The security said she'd left about an hour ago... Her phone is switched off too" She said. "She left? Where did she go at this hour?" I asked back worriedly. "I don't know son... I came back to get my things to return to the mansion tonight. I couldn't find her anywhere" She said.

I went upstairs to check her room, and found a note on her bed:

I want a divorce.

I was stunned when I read it. I called Nazmiya hanim to find out where she'd gone and I stared out at the night sky from my living room. I was waiting for Nazmiya hanim to call me back while drinking the glass of alcohol in my hand. Aygün got up from the couch, "Didn't she tell you anything?" I stared at her for some time. I knew this day was going to come sooner or later, and I knew that everyone was going to know about it, so I didn't hesitate to tell her.

"Nuri left a note saying she wants a divorce" I replied, staring back up at the full moon in the sky. "What?! But why?" She asked, "This had to happen now or later Anne..." I sighed. "What do you mean Ferit? You both loved each other" "That's what we wanted to make everyone believe. The marriage was all fake, we did it to get Idris" I admitted.

"I cannot believe you, never. You had forgiven her for taking that file from Demir to save her father, and then-" "Wait. She took the file from Demir to save her father?" I was very confused. "Yes, Demir had tricked her into fetching a USB from Özgür's place, in return for money. She needed that money to save her father from being arrested" She said.