55. Heart Burns

[•Nuri's POV•]

"Sen seviyorum"

He told me the words that I've only dreamed of hearing. The words that could make my heart burn with pain and desire. I knew exactly what to say back, but I couldn't.

He was expecting an answer but thankfully, Idris woke up. He rubbed his eyes and sat up, "Abi?" he yawned. Ferit bey smiled at him, "You fell asleep watching TV is it?" "I guess so..." replied Idris and yawned again. "It's way past your bedtime" said Ferit bey, "Ah... Will you read me a story?" said Idris turning to me. "Uh... Idris, I think I should go home. It's already late" I said. "Please Nuri, just one story" he insisted.

Ferit bey looked at me expectantly, but I looked away from him and turned to Idris. "Just one story" "Yippee!" he exclaimed and the three of us went upstairs to his room. I tucked him in and told him a crazy story. He giggled in between and Ferit bey leaned towards the door watching us. Idris fell asleep after a few minutes and I slowly got up from his bedside.

I had to get out of the house fast. 

Ferit bey was still standing near the door and on seeing Idris asleep, he headed downstairs. I didn't dare to face him after what he told me. I gathered myself and headed downstairs softly

I slowly went down and I felt my body tremble. Ferit bey was in the kitchen and I could secretly slip downstairs to the front door and escape the house. So I went down quietly, I peeped in the kitchen to see what he was doing. He poured himself a glass of beer and I heaved a sigh of relief. As I was about to go further down, he called me.

"Nuri can you come here before you run?" he asked casually from the kitchen without looking up. It was like he had a third eye. I sulked and went to the kitchen. "Ferit bey it's already late, I need to get back home, good night" I said. "Are you deaf?" he asked politely. "Huh?" "Did you hear what I said earlier?" he looked angry.

 "Huh?" "Did you hear what I said earlier?" he looked angry

"On the couch?" I asked and he nodded. "Oh that... You had said some words in Turkish right? I don't know what they mean. Was it something important?" I asked innocently. Ferit bey stared at me in disbelief and looked down at his glass. "No" he said coldly, "Oh... okay then, see you tomorrow" I said. "You don't have to come tomorrow" he said coldly.

I turned to face him then. "Tomorrow morning is the hearing. Most probably Demir and Leila will take Idris with th, so you won't have to come tomorrow" "But Idris..." I mumbled. "I will tell him in the morning. You can leave now" he said as cold as ever. "O- Okay... İyi geceler" I mumbled and he nodded. 

He didn't even say it back.

×××

It was the saddest day of my life. I wanted to tell those words back to him but I was scared of hurting him. I pushed open the door devastated and was surprised to find Fatoş on the couch. She was watching TV with a glass of wine in her hand. "Ah, finally you are back" she said. "Hey... Isn't Yeşim back?" I asked.