60. Not Again!

[•Nuri's POV•]

We got out of the car and I stared at the royal ship in awe. "It's so beautiful!" cried Idris, "Yes, it's really beautiful" I gasped at the view. The rails sparkled and the white body of the ship blended perfectly with the ocean. "I am very jealous right now" said Edric and we chuckled.

They had agreed to drop me at the harbor yesterday, and I was happy to have them support me. Idris was really upset that he couldn't join me on the ship, but he was overjoyed about it too. Edric helped me take out my bags, and I kissed Idris before saying goodbye. "Think about the restaurant when you get back" said Edric and kissed my cheek too. I felt uncomfortable, but I smiled just to be polite. Why the heck did I let him do that?!

I got on board and stared at the open ocean dreamily. "Can I help you?" I turned to find a lady who was dressed officially. "I am Nuri, I came here as part of the internship program" "The junior chef?" she asked and I nodded. "I am Melissa, the manager. I expected you'd arrive earlier but nevermind. I'll show you your room, follow me please"

She was a strict lady, far stricter than Miss Nazmiya, but she seemed just as old as I was. She took me downstairs to a cabin with bunk beds. I'd be sharing the room with three other girls. Great. "Are they chefs too?" "No, one is a chef and the other's are bartenders" she replied. She handed me a uniform, saying I had to get ready quickly as the directors would be here at any moment.

"The staff have to be introduced to the directors before they can start with the customers" she explained. I nodded hesitantly and got into my uniform. I headed back on to the deck to find a lot more people in similar uniforms, I figured they'd be interns like me, but I was sure that I was the most inexperienced.

There were a near equal number of men and women, but I ignored them and leaned over the railing admiring the beautiful ocean, "Attention, stand in a line! The couple is running late but the head is here" I heard Melissa call, I turned to join the line but my stupid uniform got caught on one of the railings.

"I heard he is strict" A few girls whispered to each other, "He is cold-hearted but still, he is pretty hot!"

I was struggling with my uniform, "Nuri!" hissed Melissa.

"He's here, he's here"

"Glad to meet you sir" "Glad to meet you sir" "My pleasure sir" and many more followed, but my dress wouldn't budge. I didn't even turn to see who the director was, finally I tugged so hard that I lost my balance and nearly fell.

The strongest pair of arms caught my shoulder. He enveloped me in his manly mist like always. "You are not going to fall over me again" he whispered against my ear and his cold breath ran down my back causing me to nearly explode blushing. I tilted my head to the side to lock eyes with the man I had missed the most in the past few days. Our lips inches apart, I wanted to freeze this moment forever.

"Nuri!" Melissa nudged me and Ferit bey let go. It seemed like the New Year's night when he had come home to meet me. We stared at each other and his lips curved into a cheeky smile. "What are you doing here?" I asked coldly, hiding my fluttering heart. Everyone gasped at that question, and Melissa was glaring at me viciously.

But Ferit bey didn't show the slightest surprise, "I would like to ask you the same Nuri" he replied calmly, his smile as confident as ever. "Don't lie to me, I know you set me up here" I retorted and crossed my arm. The crew gasped again in confusion, Ferit bey stared at the others for a moment and returned his gaze to me. I had a childish frown on my face, but his eyes were twinkling.

"Nuri?" I heard another call, and I turned to face the familiar couple

"Nuri?" I heard another call, and I turned to face the familiar couple. "It is her!" cried Mrs.Kapoor and came forward to greet me, "What are you doing here?" they asked. "I came for the internship..." "Are gonna be a chef here?" Asked Mr.Kapoor, "I guess so" I replied with a shrug.

"But wait, did Ferit set you up here?" asked Mrs.Kapoor and raised an eyebrow at Ferit bey, "I didn't know she'd be here, it's pure coincidence" he replied calmly. "Sir the opening time is near, we need to arrange a few things" "Oh yes, get on with it then. We'll sit down and talk some other time" said Mr.Kapoor and I nodded.

"We'll talk" Ferit bey whispered alluringly and walked away. I gulped.

"Let's start with the hall, crew. The chefs to the galley" ordered Melissa, and the others obeyed. All eyes were fixed on me and the murmuring assured me that the week was going to be rough.

×××

It got really busy as people started flooding in, and within the next two hours, the ship was already soaring the waters.

I made quick friends with one of my room-mates. Her name was Emily, she was an American bartender. She had never been on a ship before and was excited to work on one. She had reached Istanbul yesterday and knew nearly everyone on board.

The other girls with whom I'd be sharing my room was Azra and Damla. Emily said that they had been working on the ship for a long time. Azra was a chef like me and Damla was usually a bartender or a waiter, but she was very quiet. Azra was completely different from her, Emily asked me to steer clear of Azra as she was usually quick-tempered.

Azra had yelled at Emily yesterday for silly things, and she was very upset over it. From the few hours I had spent with Emily, I figured that she was the timid type and very emotional too. Finally, when she talked about Ferit bey, I pricked up my ears.

"Almost every woman on this ship has her eyes on him. Melissa and Azra were talking about him since yesterday, and I've got to admit that he is a little handsome" "He is handsome, go on" I said curiously, "What were they talking about Ferit bey?" I frowned, "Well, they were excited that he was going to stay a week onboard... That's all I know, but everyone was shocked by the way you talked to him in the morning!" I had told her that I used to work for him, till I resigned a few days back. I didn't tell her the reason of course, and she wasn't much curious about it either.

I could see the hall from the kitchen, and even the bar. Across the hall, the tall doors made their way onto the deck and out into the blue ocean. I was glad that ours was an open kitchen, unlike Ferit bey's yacht. The hall was big and spacious. There were a lot of men, women, and children on board.

I was very busy in the kitchen as I had unfortunately fallen under Azra's eyes. She was a very commanding woman. A lot like Burçu. I had nearly finished making soup for one of the tables when a waiter came near the kitchen. He talked with Azra alone and they glanced at me often, which seemed scary. "Nuri, come here" she said.

"Ferit bey wants you to cook for him" "What? Why?" I was startled, "He said that you'd know what he likes to eat and not eat, so he wants lunch made by you" The waiter replied. Why was Ferit bey doing this? "But didn't he say anything to cook?" I repeated, "The only thing he told me, was to ask you to surprise him" Not again!

Azra shot a murderous glare at me. "Oh... Okay" I mumbled and returned to my spot. From that moment, Azra didn't leave me alone. She always kept bugging me with questions, "What are you gonna make?" "How are you gonna make it?" "How do you know him?" But I played deaf most of the time, "Answer me or I'll kick you out of the ship!" she said finally and the other chefs looked up from their counters.

She was starting to get on my nerves.

"I'll answer you after I finish cooking" I replied stolidly, but she didn't stop there. I made the hot corn soup that Ferit bey loves and handed it to the waiter. Ferit bey and the Kapoors were seated in a more luxurious spot at the far end, and I figured that it was more like a private dining hall.

The Kapoors had already ordered something but Ferit bey was very selective of his food, as always. I stood watching his reaction but unfortunately, he caught me looking at him. He smiled at me and nodded. He liked the food, but I looked away from him immediately as I had begun blushing.

Still, I couldn't help glancing at him often from the counter now and then, and even he used to do the same. 

__________________________
Last Edited: 15th January 2021