72. Her Accident

[•Ferit's POV•]

We have been waiting outside for a long time but the discussion inside wasn't done yet.

"I knew this was going to happen from the first day!" Ankita exclaimed. "Finally, someone was able to convince my chechi to marry" She grinned at me, "Can I call you brother-in-law?" Before I could answer 'no', her mother called her from inside.

"The first step is done" I told Nuri, "This is just the silence before the storm. Also, we agreed that you wouldn't talk nonsense in front of them" She frowned at me. "Can you explain the nonsense I told your family?" I raised an eyebrow. "You were being too blunt" "I was being straightforward" I corrected her.

"Why did you tell her you loved me? We agreed that you wouldn't say such things" "How else do you think I am supposed to convince your parents? It's not like I wanted to say it" I switched to a more impatient tone but I soon realized that my words were a bit too harsh. "I should never have agreed to do this" "Fine, run away like you always do" I retorted when she walked out on me. This marriage was not going to work like this and I ran my fingers through my hair frustrated.

Suddenly, I heard a loud crash and I turned to see what it was. The view took half my life away. Nuri was lying on the road, a car had hit her.

I ran to her side and knelt beside her. "Nuri?! Open your eyes, Nuri!" The driver got outside, "Oh my god" He cried and I looked up to see who it was.

Ashok.

I pounced on him like a lion, unable to control my anger, "If something happens to her, I will kill you!" I had no idea what I was saying. The words came to me automatically, "Oh my gosh! Nuri! My baby!" Her parents, aunt, uncle, and sister came running. I noticed that she was breathing. I thanked God for that, I bent down to pick her up.

"We need to get her to a hospital" I told the bewildered crowd. She crawled up in my arms, her palm, and elbows were bleeding. "Start your car! Take her to the nearest hospital!" Nuri's mother shouted at Ashok. I got in at the back with her in arms and her mother got in with me while Ankita sat in the front. The others came in another car, and a terrified Ashok drove at full speed.

As soon as we reached the hospital, she was placed on a stretcher and taken to the emergency room. I forgot all the anger I had felt for her in a flash. We were sent to the waiting area right outside the emergency room. The women were in tears, and Nuri's father buried his face in his palm, while Hari tried to comfort him. Ashok was pacing up and down the lobby, while I leaned against the wall. I prayed for her to be alright.

If something serious happened to her, I would never forgive myself. After nearly an hour, the doctor came outside and everyone circled him. "Thankfully, there is nothing to worry about" he said. Everyone heaved a sigh of relief. "She has fallen unconscious after the mild shock she experienced. There are only a few bruises on her body, it's nothing serious" He assured them.

"When will she wake up doctor?" Asked Hari. "I cannot tell that exactly, but she is sleeping now. Let her stay at the hospital for the night, you can take her back home in the morning" He said and everyone nodded. I took a deep breath. I peeped through the glass door just to see her. She was sleeping peacefully, and I smiled to myself.

I went to the bathroom to wash my face and when I returned, I heard the conversation between Nuri's mother and Lekha. "Hey it's alright, she's safe now" "We were here this time, Lekha. What would she have done if this happened in Turkey? I am not sending her back" Nuri's mother retorted. "Hey, that boy is there no? He will take care of her" Said Lekha. I am not a boy.

"What are you talking about? He is a stranger. How can we trust him?" "You saw how he reacted when this happened. I can promise you that no other man will ever react like that. He loves her" Said Lekha, and I found it hard to convince myself. "Talk to him calmly. You can get along" She said and got up.

The hospital clock struck 1 AM.

"There is no one at the hotel, nor at home, a few of us should go back" Suggested Hari and Lekha agreed. "Ankita, go back with your aunt and uncle. I will stay here with your father tonight" Said Nuri's mother. "I am staying too" I replied and she raised an eyebrow at me. "I can't leave her alone" She sighed. Ashok wanted to say something but when Nuri's parents glared at him, he left consciously.

We three were left in the waiting room and Nuri had been shifted to the ward. I noticed that our floor had gone empty except for the receptionist at the far corner of the room. Nuri's mother had gone downstairs to get a few medicines. I got a bottle of water from the receptionist and handed it to Nuri's father. He was hesitant to take it first but had to eventually. 

I sat down next to him and he handed it back to me, knowing I hadn't drunk water in a long time either. I smiled and took the bottle from him. Some progress. Her mother returned after half an hour. The nurse came towards us then, "She woke up now, you can go inside" She said and the three of us went in. Nuri was lying wide awake on the bed, and the doctor was next to her. 

He got up when he saw us, "She is alright now, but might feel a little tired after taking the medicines. How are you related to the patient?" The doctor turned to me. I didn't know how to reply. I stared at Nuri and she stared back. Her parents watched us both for some time, then Nuri's father shook his head at his wife. They communicated again in their strange way. 

She sighed, and turned to the doctor, "He's engaged to her" She said. "Oh, congratulations" The doctor smiled and left us alone, "Don't think that I didn't see that ring on your finger. You both have a lot of explaining to do in the morning" Her mother frowned at us. Nuri was puzzled. She had no idea how I was able to convince her parents, but I smiled confidently at her mother. At least they approved of us. 

Nuri's mother sat down on the bed near her and I sat down on the couch next to her father. She asked her a million times if it hurted. "I told you Mumma, I am fine. Please stop worrying like this" she replied. "But what do you want now? Are you sleepy? Are you hungry?" "I am kinda hungry" She confessed, and Nuri's mother got up to buy food from the canteen downstairs with her husband. They left us alone, and Nuri began shooting questions at me. 

I could still see her parents' shadow near the door, they were keeping an eye on us of course. "Tell me Ferit, what made them agree so easily?" She asked, and I sat down on the bed next to her and caressed her hair. "Ferit what are you doing?" She seemed startled. "Your parents are watching us" I said, "What? Where?" She tried getting up to look around but I stopped her. "No, just play along" I whispered.

"You just can't avoid danger right? So clumsy as always" I teased and she frowned at me. "I didn't see the car coming... It was pitch black everywhere" "You should be more careful. We have a wedding coming" I said, "Fake wedding" she corrected me stolidly and I nodded. "It's pretty late. I'll be in the waiting room" I said and made sure that the shadows were still present near the door. They were.

I bent down to kiss her forehead, "Good night" I whispered and I could hear her heart pounding louder. I got up and left the room. 

__________________________
Last Edited: 17th January 2021