20

Dominic's POV:

I storm back into the room and there she lies. Her chest still wrapped in the colourless bandage, her head laying flat on the plush white pillow as her eyes face the ceiling. Her arms lay by her side flat. She looks so...peaceful. Shes been like this for nearly a month.

I still remember the first time I walked into this room, she was laying in the same position as now, no expression shown on her face.

—Flashback—

I stormed through the heavy white doors, "WHERE IS SHE"  I roar. The lady sitting in front of the desk jumps up and runs to me. "How may I help you" she questions in a flirtatious, light voice while batting her eyelashes at me. I mentally gag. "Hope Ricci" I answer back. The lady nods her head, clearly upset that I had no reaction to her flirt. She steps back to her desk and taps away at the computer.

"Room 1306" I nod and run down the hallway.

I open the door gently, and she's laying on the bed. Her arms by her side and her head facing towards the ceiling. My heart falls as I stare at her unconscious body. The only thing reminding me that she's still alive is the beeping heart monitor. She has wires sticking out from all over and a white bandage taped around her chest, a bit of red bleeding through.

This is all my fault.

This should have been me, not her.

He was aiming for me, not her.

If only I hadn't moved in that last moment then it would be me, not her.

I slowly tread towards the bed and slide a chair next to her. I sit down and pull my hand forward to grasp onto hers.

"I'm so sorry" I whisper to her as I fight back tears.

I hear footsteps and snap my head towards the door. A man walks in wearing a white lab coat, holding a clipboard.

"How is she?" I ask in desperation.

"Are you immediate family?" I don't answer, "well if you're not then I'm going to need you to leave." He orders.

"I'm her brother" I blurt out, instantly gagging while thinking about it.

"Well sir, she currently has no brain activity and she lost a lot of blood. We performed surgery on her as soon as she arrived here. She's currently in coma, I'm sorry but it doesn't look good." He informs me in a rush.

My heart stops as I hear his last few words.

"How long will she be in coma?" I ask, nervous about the answer.

He looks at me with pitiful eyes, "it could be a few days, it could be a month, a year, or multiple years. At the moment, it looks like she won't."

"She won't what?" I snap at him.

I don't want to believe it.

"Wake up" he answers before turning around and walking back out.

I want that rat found NOW.
-D

I text Kyle aggressively.

—Flashback over—

I shake my head at the memory and look back up to her. I never lost faith in her, she's strong and she will fight through this. But in the end, where has faith ever gotten us?

"I love you" I whisper to her.

Suddenly, a beeping sound fills the room. It speeds up as more seconds pass by, "HELP HER" I shout and the room is instantly filled with rushing doctors. They push me aside and start pressing buttons on the machine and checking her still unconscious body.

I would do anything for her to wake up.

"Please wait outside" one of the nurses order to me.

"No I'm staying here" I bark back.

"Sir you need to leave, if you want her to be okay then you NEED to leave."

At this, I turn around and walk out with my head held low.

It feels like hours later. Dozens of nurses walk in and out of Hope's room. The door opens and the doctor finally walks out and up to me.

"It seems as though she has gained her brain activity back" he informs with a small smile. "She's out of coma now, she's unconscious now, but she'll wake up within the next few days".

I let out a breath of relief and smile while thanking him.

***

It's been three days. Nora and I have stayed here all day and night waiting for Hope to wake up. We don't want her to be alone in the room when she wakes up, I'm sure she would have lots of questions.

Nora and I have gotten a lot closer in the past few days, she's told me all about her family and how she's been friends with Hope for 12 years. She told me about how her birthday is in a couple weeks and how she really wants Hope to be there.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom" she says while standing up.

I nod and lean forward to grab Hope's hand. It's cold.

I place my head on her hand as I breathe out in frustration.

I stay there, thinking about her and the last conversation we had. I've never met anyone like her.

I'm brought out of my thoughts by Hope's hand moving. I look up in excitement and she pulls her hand away from mine.

"Who are you?"