53

A/N: I didn't like the storyline I had begun in the original chapter, so I went back and changed it. This is the edited version. I'm sorry for any inconveniences or for any confusion, feel free to message me if anything is confusing!

Hope's POV:

I blink my eyes open until the blurry layer above my vision clears. Turning my head around, I analyse the room; the walls are white, the small bed has white covers, and there is a window with a view of the sky on the far left side of the room. I'm in a hospital room. Next to me lays a beeping machine, it's a heart beat monitor. Next to the heart beat monitor sits Dominic in a chair, his left hand is reached out and clasped to mine. His right hand supports his lazy head as his elbows connect with the arm rests of the chair. He's slouched down with closed eyes, his chest rises and falls at a constant pace.

I instantly pull my hand away from him, jolting him awake. I only now take notice of his bloodshot, puffy eyes. He opens his mouth to speak but is interrupted by the entrance of a man in a white coat. "Ms Ficci, you're awake" he offers me an apologetic smile. Following the doctor are my parents, my mom runs up to me instantly and pulls my head against her chest. Holding me close as her chest shakes and her face floods with tears, "my baby" she cries out as her tears fall down her neck.

We remain like this for a couple minutes.

"Hope, my little girl. How are you feeling?" My dad sits on the end of my bed, I scoot back against the headboard of the bed and nod my head as a 'fine'.

"What happened?" I question my mom in a painful, raspy voice. I cringe at the sound of it breaking. Nobody replies but everybody stares at me with pity, it doesn't feel like it though. I feel like they're digging holes right through me with their stares, and finding the worst parts of me inside.

"Ms Hope" the doctors breaks the silence, "I'm sorry, but your baby didn't survive" he confirms my worst nightmare. My heart falls to the empty pit in my stomach as I stare up at him, my eyes drowning in burning tears as I begin to scream.

My baby.

I feel as a pair of large arms wrap around my back and neck, pulling me towards his chest. I feel it, I feel as every part of my heart shatters inside of me, I feel as my body weakens, I feel my breathing come to a stop. I clutch onto Dominic's forearms, leaning forward as my mouth falls open. It's an unimaginable amount of pain, nobody should ever have to experience it. The tears flow down my cheeks as Dominic holds me tight, the last shred of strength leaves my body as I attempt to suck in a large amount of air. I am nothing but a broken, empty woman. My tears pool onto Dominic's sleeve and the entire room seems quiet, only the hushing of Dominic's broken voice breaks through the barrier I built around us. 

Through the blurring of tears in my eyes, my father steps towards me and places his cold hand on the small area of my shoulder that Dominic doesn't hold onto. I watch as the images of Matteo come back to me, the feeling of his cold skin against mine, and the wicked raspiness of his voice. I wish I could do something, push his hand off, pull away, at least shrug it off, but I can't. I'm frozen, my tears and breath suddenly stopping, my eyes focusing on the blankness of the rough hospital bedsheets. My mind stuck in a loop of nothing but Matteo, nothing but the pain I felt, nothing but the overwhelming urge to be back in Dominic's safe warm arms.