Of Monsters and Men

"I shall not marry him mother and I am sure he wants to marry anyone but me!" Lizzie declared the next morning as she, Elizabeth and Lisbet walked through the gardens, the Tudors girls only a few paces ahead

The rest of the meeting had gone disastrously and all were dreading the next encounter with the Tudor. He had had Lizzie and Cecily dance for him, something which neither girls had liked, and had raised his voice each time he mentioned the late monarchs, glancing angrily towards the bed chamber where the four sisters had been sobbing in one another's arms.

"Perhaps you will not have to?" Lisbet observed, taking her cousin's hand "perhaps my brothers shall raise and army and set us all free then you shall not have to marry the usurper?"
"Now that is something I shall dearly hope for"

"Follow me" Elizabeth said in a hushed tone, leading the other two down a narrow path, surrounded by thick green hedges "parliament has said that he must marry you" she announced as a murder of crows cawed ominously overhead, picking up her skirts and increasing her pace so that Lizzie and Lisbet had to as well.
"I was right then?" The eldest asked "that he does not want to?" The younger arched an eyebrow, tossing her dark braid behind her shoulders.

"How do you know that they have said that Aunt?" She looked around, then lowered her voice "have you had a seeing?"
Elizabeth laughed a little, casting an amused glance over her shoulder.
"Nay, my dear, let us just say that I still have influence here at court"

They emerged from the walkway, their senses instantly becoming overwhelmed with the sweet scent of the honeysuckle flowers that were currently in bloom...Queen Marian had ordered them planted when she had first ascended to the throne. Lisbet cast her eyes to the ground, her mind flooding with past memories of happy summers in the sun. Those days were long gone now. She felt Lizzie squeeze her hand and looked up.
"Do not lose heart" Lizzie said "there is hope"
"Aye there is" Lisbet replied "but not for my parents"

"Princess Elizabeth?" Both Lizzie and Lisbet looked up at their name, the latter quickly casting her gaze back down when she remembered her unlawful bastardisation, not wanting to draw attention to herself.
Lord Strange (the man who had spoken) approached, the same smug smile on his face as seemed to accompany all the Stanley men. Lisbet thought he looked rather like a drowned rat. He strode up to the three women.

"The King will see you in his private rooms tonight, alone" he announced. Lizzie shook her head, her red hair tumbling over her shoulders.
"We are not yet married" she replied confidently "I cannot..."

"My daughter thanks his grace" Elizabeth interrupted, clasping her hands in false joy "and is delighted to attend. Lisbet felt her cousin's body stiffen as she turned to glare at her mother. She then sighed, walked on, taking Lisbet with her.
"I shall not go" she hissed "I will not go! They cannot force me!"

"I most certainly think they would try!" Lisbet replied, watching as the crows flew by again. She hated crows, they reminded her of death...of Lady Margaret. She shuddered when she saw them, drawing her cloak tighter around her shoulders "after all, your mother has already said yes!"
"Well then my mother can...she can...oh Lisbet she can go to hell!"
Lisbet's eyes widened and she hurried on as her cousin marched through the gardens, hands clasped into fists, their skirts rustling on the grass.