Starcrossed Lovers

"It looks as if the party has already started" Lisbet laughed as she and Francis rode over the drawbridge of Gravensteen that evening to see courtiers dancing around the courtyard, goblets of wine and sweet meats in their hands

"Lisbet! Lisbet where have you been?" Marian called as she rushed out of the castle doors and met Lisbet's horse, she then caught sight of Francis and relaxed a little "Ah, I think I know... anyway, ma chérie, come inside and celebrate with us!" She helped her daughter down from her horse and the two walked inside; were quickly joined by Cecily who accompanied them to the great hall.

As they were all announced, Lisbet spotted Maggie and lifted her hand to wave but the woman took one glance at her York kin and appeared to flee the scene, clutching at the crucifix which hung around her neck.

"What is wrong with her?" Lisbet murmured to her mother and grandmother.
"Her loyalties are divided" Marian answered "she tells me she wished to see York back on the throne...but cannot join us in the fight...you see she seems to love her husband to a degree...and Tudor has her son back in England...my dear niece is trapped!" She gave a taught laugh and Cecily frowned.
"So what next?" She asked
"Edmund takes back the throne of England of course!"
"Or?"

Marian raised her eyebrows at her mother in law as the trio sat down to observe the dancing couples and huffed a little, her usually gentle voice sharp.
"Are you suggesting, mother, that we leave the Tudor bastard be? That we allow him to rule while Edmund and my other children are denied their birthrights?" She lowered her voice so only the two next to her could hear "I am fighting hard to win him allies, but we are just beginning"

"Or he dies!" Cecily murmured and suddenly Marian looked stricken, grasped Lisbet's hand.
"Do not say that" she hissed "do not ever say that, Cecily"

"But it is not the beginning of anything!" Cecily reasoned "it's the continuation of a conflict that has claimed all of my sons! Edward, Edmund, George...Richard...all dead as a result of this cousins war!"

"My boys will not die as their father did!" Marian suddenly cried, standing and trying to conceal her sudden tears "they will fight and they will win! I bid you a good night, Lady Mother" she turned and swept quickly out of the hall, leaving her daughter staring after her before she looked back to Cecily.

"All these years" she mumbled miserably, her good mood from the days events ruined "all these years you have always said you have faith in my brothers and I...has it all be a lie, Lady Grandmother? Do you truly have so little hope for us?" Her eyes widened in alarm as Cecily suddenly let out a small sob and clutched her granddaughter's hand, bringing it to her lips.

"Oh, Lisbet" she wept, shaking her head.
"L-lady Grandmother? A-are you I'll? Are you not happy about the betrothal?"
Cecily shook her head again.
"A betrothal means a marriage...and this marriage means war"
"And you know that!" Lisbet whispered "you were the one that helped construct this union! Which is why I'm so wounded by this sudden show of doubt."