A Plot and A Promise

Two months later, August 1495

"And you, my love?" Lisbet asked gently, laying her head on Francis' shoulder as they strolled around Gravensteen "what do you think about Magda?"

"I do in truth pity her, my little bird" he replied gently "to be forced from your love must be harder than anyone can imagine...if anyone ever tried to keep me from your side I think I would go insane!" Lisbet chuckled and elbowed Francis playfully in the ribs "but she must go" he continued "for the good of York she must go"

The rounded a corner and heard a pair of murmuring voices that made the lover's ears instantly prick up.
"There they are! And in broad daylight too!" Lisbet hissed as she spotted Magdalena and her brother whispering together at the end of the hall way "I swear they are up to something!"

But she had no chance to find out as Edmund's head jerked up and he took Magda's hand, pulling her away with him.

"I agree" Francis said once the pair were gone "I thought it was just I who found their interactions of late suspicious! They carry a hunted look"
"Nay it's not just you, my love...Ned thinks so too but although we have tried to think of what on earth they could be doing we cannot come to any conclusion! And so the mystery drags onward!"

"Lisbet! My dear Granddaughter!" Cecily Neville called from behind and Lisbet turned, nodding quickly to Francis (in order to not arise any suspicion in front of her Grandmother) and went to Cecily's side, not daring to look back.

"You and Francis have been friends for years, have you not?" Cecily started and Lisbet nodded, trying to hide the colour that rushed to her cheeks by looking out of the window.
"Yes...he and I have always been very good...friends, Lady Grandmother"

"Hm" Cecily murmured "well, enough with the pleasantries my dear! Have you found a way to get rid of the eldest Moreland girl yet?"
"Lady Grandmother!" Lisbet exclaimed, surprised that Cecily would discuss such a thing openly but then remembering who she was talking to "well I thought you may have a few ideas in mind to tell you the truth!"

Cecily chuckled and tapped her walking stick on the ground.
"In truth I have...but I do not think you would approve"
"Then I shall ask no more! But truly I don't know what to do with her! At the first meeting between Cathy and Ed I thought there may be hope...but with every day that passes that hope seems to lessen! I'm at a loss for action!"

"You are a York" Cecily said sternly "you should never be at a loss for action...tell me, my dear, is there anything that has made your suspicions rise when you see Edmund and his mistress? Anything that could lead you to believe that..."
"Yes!" Lisbet interrupted, earning a look of amused disapproval "yes that is just what me and Francis were talking of! Magdalena and Edmund have been acting so strange of late...but none of us can think of what they could be plotting!"
"You believe them to be plotting?"
"Aye, Lady Grandmother, but as to what...I don't know! But I know I must discover it soon! It's known by most of the courtiers that Cathy has refused to marry my brother while he still keeps a mistress and I don't blame her!"