A Rose of York

Three days later

Three days later...

"Ned! Bianca!" Lisbet called from the castle walls as she watched the Duke and Duchess of York trot into the courtyard of Gravensteen. Both looked up and waved jovially at her, though up close the two wore rather hunted looks and their eyes darted warily about, feeling out of place after being away from court after 3 months.

A small cry of joy could be hear from the castle doors and Lisbet watched with a grin as Anne dashed down the steps and leapt into her brother's arms.
"You're back! You're back!" She cried and Ned chuckled.
"Of course I am! How long did you think I would be gone from your side, dearest sis?"

"My son! Welcome home!" Marian called as she followed her youngest daughter and embraced Ned before kissing Bianca on both cheeks, a sign to the entire court that she, the Queen of England, accepted the new Duchess of York and anyone who didn't would be crossing her which was never a wise thing for anyone to do.

Lisbet looked up as she sensed someone come to stand beside her. Cathy.
"I feel as if us wives shall have to prepare for a war within our own house" she murmured, taking her sister in law's hand.
"Aye...and York cannot withstand two wars at once...not now, not just as we are just regaining our strength to fight Tudor...have you any luck with Edmund yet?"
"Nay" Cathy replied "Edmund listens to my advice most of the time but when it comes to you and Ned he completely shuts down"

"Cat? Catherine, my dearest? Where are you?"

"That's him now" Lisbet whispered, turning her her head in the direction her brother's voice had come from and let go of her friend's hand "I should go"

"Know I shall keep trying" Cathy called as Lisbet disappeared into the stairwell.
"I know you will, sister!" She replied.

Making her way towards the courtyard, Lisbet let out a cry of joy as she picked up her skirts and ran to Bianca whose face lit up at the sight of her best friend.
"Lisbet! Oh Lisbet how I have missed you!" She laughed before placing a hand to Lisbet's belly "my my your child has grown since I have been away! Think! Just three months and you will be a mother!"

"With you not far behind, I'll bet!" Lisbet said with a grin "I can hardly believe that your and Ned's efforts have been in vain!"
"Nor can I!" Ned agreed as he went to stand beside his wife, Annie's hand gently encased in his own "now, have you seen our brother, Lisbet?"

"Not seen him" she replied with a slight smile "but I have heard him...do you intend to speak to him? Try to mend the things between you?"
"Well, have you had any luck with him while I've been a way?"
"Nay I haven't...I have tried speaking to him multiple times but it's no use!"

"Then I shall stay silent" Ned said "and see if over time we can bring ourselves back together again"
"But we don't have time..." Lisbet began but was quickly hushed when Marian joined the small group and smiled at them all.