The Storm

"Where are we going?" Lisbet whispered as she and Ned ran through the streets of London, hoods pulled firmly over their faces for they were sure the alarm must have been raised at the palace by now and didn't know how quickly word will have spread

"Burgundy" Ned answered and Lisbet gave a gasp.
"Burgundy?" She repeated "not Tornai? What about my brothers? And Francis?"
"No, my friend. We go to Burgundy! I have had news that your family moved there a few weeks before the battle and so tis to burgundy we go! I have arranged for a Yorkist merchant to let us sail on his ship, although he won't know who you are just in case" Ned sighed "we cannot be too careful these days!"

As the pair continued to make their way through the streets, the London docks finally came into view, as did a ship flying a flag with the White Boar on it. Ned laughed at the shocked look on Lisbet's face. "I know!" He said, grinning as she smiled at the flag "I don't know how he hasn't been arrested yet either!"

Together they headed towards the boat and were greeted by an old man with a long beard and twinkling brown eyes. He greeted Ned warmly and then went down on one knee before Lisbet, taking her hand and kissing it.
"It is an honour to escort you to your family your grace" he said, rising from the ground "it is much my hope that Prince Edmund shall claim his rightful throne soon!"

"Th-thank you" Lisbet stammered, looking to Ned "I thought you said he wouldn't know who I am!" She said and suddenly the merchant let out a laugh, thumping Ned good naturedly on the back, making his expensive looking emerald robe rustle.

"Really Ned!" He cried as he led the two into his ship "you thought I wouldn't recognise the daughter of King Richard and Queen Marian! Why, I didn't know you took me for a simpleton!"
"I never have and I never will, Tom!" Ned grinned, his dark blonde hair shaking as his head did "now, let us set sail for even though the sun is hours from rising, if we don't go soon then we may have a Tudor on our tails!"

Tom laughed again and shouted to his men to lift the anchor and raise the sails. Within minutes the ship was sailing about the harbour and Lisbet stood, leaning against the wooden rail of the boat, watching as the lights of London faded away, her heart becoming lighter with each moment.

'To my brothers' she thought with a sigh 'to my brothers and to my Francis I go!'
"Come along, my dear!" Ned said from the side of her "you'd best go to your cabin for it is bad luck to have a woman on the deck of a ship!"
"Oh don't be so superstitious" Tom laughed as he walked over and smiled at his two passengers "let the lass stay on deck if she wants!"

Lisbet smiled gratefully at Tom but shook her head, taking Ned's hand.
"Nay, I would in truth prefer to go below deck! Lord knows I'm in need of a good rest!"

Ned gave his merchant friend a triumphant look and Tom raised a playful eyebrow at him before bowing to Lisbet.
"May God give you a peaceful rest, Princess" he said and Lisbet practically glowed as he used her proper title, sweeping elegantly from the top deck to the cabins below and (with the help of Ned) finding her own. The large cabin was richly furnished, a heavy golden coverlet adorning the tester bed which was set at the end of the room.