Out of Reach

Lisbet could hear the crowds cheering wildly as the Tudor procession entered the city

Lisbet could hear the crowds cheering wildly as the Tudor procession entered the city. The red dragon standards blew in the wind and the girl felt her heart sink as memories flashed before her eyes.

She could see her mother and Father riding either side Edmund, proud smiles of their faces, Ned laughing loudly as he waved to the crowds that shouted his name and his twin brother Dickon, dearest Dickon smiling broadly at his siblings and giggling as he rode through the streets!

Oh how Lisbet wished Dickon was still alive and knew that the rest of her siblings (Especially Edward) did too! It was well known how much Ned missed his twin, had locked himself away from the world for months when he had survived the fever that took his brother.

Lisbet looked around and saw that the horses were now nearing the Minster and the roaring of the crowds was becoming louder and louder. She hoped that they were merely pretending to support the Tudor and their cheers were not genuine.

After all, York had been King Richard's stronghold for many years had it not? The people had loved him and Marian dearly, surely they would not be so quick to turn their coats?

She sighed, perhaps she had too much faith in others. Of course the people of York has their own families to look out for and, while it made her angry, she supposed she could see the reason why they would appear to be for Tudor now. 

The horses slowed and Henry dismounted, turning back towards his steed and holding his arms out for Lisbet to slide into.

She arched an eyebrow and frowned. He sighed and jerked his head slightly in a silent order to obey which she reluctantly did, hating the feeling of being in Henry's embrace. As soon as her feet hit the ground, she pulled away and looked towards the lords of York who bowed to her.

"Princess Elizabeth, welcome back to York" one murmured to her, being careful that Henry was not in earshot. She beamed back at the man and nodded, so York was still for her House after all!
"Thank you, my lord" she whispered "I have missed your beautiful city, although I do wish it was I was here under better circumstances!"

"Indeed" another one of the Lords agreed while the Mayor greeted Tudor "I hope you know that we shall never forget noble King Richard and the most gracious and beauteous Queen Marian. Here in York we await the return of your brothers with much anticipation, your grace"

"We feared you would turn back, your grace, because of all the sickness!"
"Sickness?" Lisbet exclaimed, looking to the Mayor who had just spoken
"Sickness?" Henry repeated, turning to his mother (as everyone else did).

"It is nothing!" Lady Margaret stated, albeit rather nervously "it is passed"
All present glanced at each other, some raising eyebrows, some others shaking their heads.

"I have been eager to survey my lands" Henry began again, turning back to the mayor. Lisbet scoffed, earning a glare from Tudor, before shrugging and looking away, eyes scanning the crowd.