The Mortal Chalice

May 27th 1498

May 27th 1498...

"And you?" Francis asked with a grin as he gently slipped Lisbet's shoes on her small feet and caressed her leg "how do you feel about the evening's celebrations?"

"I think it shall be fun for Anne, but more for Mary if I'm being completely honest...Anne has had 12 years of these grand feasts now! This is Mary's first in over a decade!" She giggled.

"Mm" Francis replied, letting go of her ankle and putting his hands on either side of her waist, pulling himself up from the floor and her from the bed, catching her skirts before they could drop "and how do you feel about this?" He asked, his hands moving up and down her bare waist.

Lisbet smiled but gently slapped her husband's hands away and pulled her skirts down, sighing when she saw slight disappointment register on Francis' face.
"Just a little longer" she whispered "just a little longer, my love and then..."
"Then I can love you again" he finished, pressing a soft kiss to her lips.

"Yes...so you shall have to satisfy yourself with simple kisses until then" she smiled a gave a small laugh, pushing Francis towards the secret door "now go and get ready while I go and see Mary!"

༒༒༒

Raising her hand, the duchess gave a small knock at her younger sister's bedroom door, and grinned when she heard a sweet, familiar voice grant her entry.

"Happy near birthday!" Lisbet giggled as she walked in and jumped onto Mary's bed, gathering her into a hug.
"I can scarce believe it!" She heard her whisper "I've never had a proper birthday celebration before! Well...the only thing that happened at the abbey was that the monks would pray for me and Aunt Elizabeth would give me a new gown" Mary pulled back from the hug a little and tilted her head "am I ever to see her again? I just cannot get it out of my head...what mama said that day in the courtyard...that...that our Aunt is dying..."

"She didn't seem as if she was when you were with her?" Lisbet asked and felt her heart twist when she saw Mary hesitate and her expression sadden.

"I suppose I refused to acknowledge it...or rather she did...Cece and I asked frequently if she was well and she always said she was...and I...I...she was the only person I had apart from Cece, Lisbet! I couldn't even bare the thought...oh God I still can't..." the Princess turned her head away and shook it slowly while her sister gently stroked her hair as their mother did in an attempt to calm her. Luckily it worked.

"Be calm, my dear" She whispered "think of happy things today! Focus on the present! This is your day!"
"Aye it is! Tis mine and Annie's day!" Mary announced, bouncing from her bed and beginning to rummage through her coffers which appeared to have a new dress placed in them each day! "which gown do you think I should wear?" She asked with a grin, holding up different ones "the blue? The green? Oh! What about this?" She held up a scarlet gown with a low cut bodice and hanging sleeves that revealed a white kirtle, lined with lace.