Hidden and Patient

18th of January, 1486

"Oh, Lisbet...I do not want it! I do not want it..." Lizzie moaned as her cousin brushed her wavy red locks until they were free of tangles and flowed down her back.

Just as Lisbet, Meg and Cece's birthdays had, Christmas had passed with little celebration in the two chambers but now it appeared the residents were to be free for on this day Henry Tudor was going to marry Elizabeth of York.

Upon learning in late December that Lizzie was pregnant, he had become overjoyed and immediately ordered the wedding plans to go ahead. Twas said it was the happiest Tudor had ever been. Lisbet doubted happiness was something he was capable of feeling.

Church bells had already begun to ring though it was still early morning and servants bustled here and there around the courtyard, their uniforms freshly cleaned as they hung up the Tudor banners on the walls.

There had been no word from Tornai, no word from Ned the stable boy. Of course, Lisbet hoped their had been but since she sent the letter there had been no chance for her to check the stables, no chance to revive any news that may give her more cause to fight. Still, she hoped. Perhaps during the coronation she could slip away? She was sure she would at least try.

"I know you do not want it Lizzie" she said gently to her cousin "but do not worry, it wont be for long...I am sure my brothers will return to us" Lizzie nodded mutely before turning and embracing Lisbet with all her strength, breathing deeply before letting her go.
"They won't win, dear one, I won't let them win"

The door opened and Meg, Cecily and Mary all slipped in from the bedchamber hand in hand, followed by the older Cecily who was dressed in cloth of gold and frowning, arms folded as she glared out of the window at the Tudor banners.
The little ones twirled in their new red gowns. They had been sent by Margaret Beaufort and one had been gifted to Lisbet too but she was yet to put it on, was still donning her black one.

Lizzie's dress was low cut at the front, raised her breasts high was made of red and black silk, the sleeves tightly cut. Her sister Cecily remarked it looked as if it were fit for a harlot. Lizzie had simply smiled faintly in response.

Now Lisbet watched on as she put on her wedding gown, the Tudor ladies tightly lacing them back, their eyes dark with disapproval. Lisbet sniffed and went to change into her own gown, staring down at the red velvet garment that had been neatly laid out for her on the bed. It had been embellished with gold thread embroidered into the shape of roses around the v-neckline and had slashed sleeves that would reveal the deep blue of the kirtle that had been sent with it. The gown was beautiful, there was no denying it but to Lisbet it felt like it would be a betrayal to wear it.

"Thinking of your family?" Elizabeth asked as she walked in, drawing the curtain behind her and smiling at her eldest niece who nodded.
"I can't wear it, Aunt" she murmured quietly, eyes still on the gown and kirtle "not only would it be a humiliation to be wearing something commissioned by Lady Margaret but I feel as if it would also be a...a betrayal to mama and papa"