Blood of the Enemy

June 1487, Westminster

"And rest assured, most loyal subjects! I shall return victorious!" Henry called out to the court as he sat on his grey destrier, donning armour of solid gold and his crown.

"He looks ridiculous" Lisbet murmured to Meg who was trying and failing to conceal a mocking grin.
"Aye" she agreed "can you imagine mama or papa prancing around in such an ensemble?"

Her sister smothered a laugh and carried on watching Henry as he leaned down from his horse and kissed Lizzie fully on the mouth, winding a lock of her red hair around his finger and then stroking Arthur's cheek. The baby smiled at his father and attempted a small wave as Henry sat up again.

He looked across the courtyard balcony and spotted Lisbet, giving her a slight wave and a nod. Lisbet could not help but chuckle and wave back to him, raising her eyebrows slightly and nodding as he had done.
"I see you are still on good terms with him then?" Meg remarked, clearly annoyed. Lisbet nodded.
"I am. Aunt Elizabeth told me to remember my advantages and so that is what I'm doing"
"Clever clogs"

The two sisters began to walk arm in arm back inside the palace, planning to visit their sisters soon when Lizzie walked up to them and their speech faltered.
"Cousins" Lizzie greeted, rocking Arthur back and forth gently in her arms.
"Elizabeth" Lisbet returned cooly while Meg's grip on her hand tightened. Lizzie sighed and raised her eyebrows.
"How long is this going to continue, dear one?" She pleaded "do you truly hate me this much? Are we now destined to be rivals?"

"You betrayed us" Lisbet stated plainly "and you will never be able to understand the pain and destruction you have caused in doing so, cousin"
"Well can we not at least be civil?"
"Civil?"
"Aye, civil" Lizzie looked to Meg, who rolled her eyes, and then back to Lisbet "Civil for Arthur's sake. I know you love him as I do and would not wish for you to grow apart from him just because of the hatred you bear towards me...so may we be civil for now? And then...then perhaps one day you can find it in your heart to care for me again"

Lisbet looked to her sister who simply gave her a look that said 'just get it over with' and then nodded, detaching her hand from Lisbet's and walking away down the hall, silk skirts swishing from side to side as she went.

Lisbet glanced at her cousin and nodded tautly.
"Civil it is then, cousin" she murmured and Lizzie's face practically glowed with joy, causing Lisbet to feel the, now familiar, stabbing pain in her heart as she turned away and followed her sister to their room.

"You did it then?" Meg asked as she shut the door.
"Aye, sister, I did...but not for the reason you may think. I still hate Elizabeth and I always will but...well I remembered our Aunt's words again 'remember your advantages'. If our cousin thinks I'm on her side again then that may prove useful to us, perhaps in time bring us more power." Meg stared at her sister and then began to laugh, clapping her hands together.
"Christ, Lis!" She giggled "sometimes your ideas even astonishes me! I had no idea you could be this deceitful to family!"