Lady Catherine

One week later

One week later...

"Are you ready, brother?" Lisbet asked kindly as Edmund once more adjusted his cap and the diamond boar pin that was attached to it. He grunted in response and took to playing with the hilt of his sword, pacing about the solar until his mother stopped him.

"Be calm, Edmund" Marian ordered "sit" Edmund did as he was told but did not stop his fidgeting, shuffling his feet from side to side while the Queen stood before him "today you are to meet your intended..."
"You think I don't already know that?" He snapped "I left Magda in a pool of tears this morning because of it! I told her that our love was coming to an end and she didn't take it well!"
"Well do not let that effect this first meeting, mon chéri, the whole court will be watching"

"And your family too" Lisbet added, earning a glare from her brother "you must do what's best for our house, Edmund"
"Easy for you to say" he shot back "you are not the one having to give up your love for power"
"Just give the damn girl a chance, Eddie! She's to be your wife"
"Oh shut up about it, will you?!" Edmund yelled and Lisbet fell silent, leaning against the wall until she heard royal trumpets blare and she headed from the solar with Marian who cast an uneasy glance at her.

"He promised me" she whispered as they entered the great hall and the court curtsied and bowed "he said he would give Lady Catherine a chance but now it seems less and less likely that he will do so...unless..."
"Unless?" Lisbet prompted
"Unless Magdalena is out of the way...I know it sounds cold hearted of me...but it is what's best for our house"

"I agree. Edmund may never forgive us if we do something and he doesn't find love with Lady Catherine...but we must take this chance, mama" as they walked down the hall Lisbet spotted Magda at the back of the room, a jealous look in her usually kind eyes and quickly added "and the sooner the better. Magda is my friend...but family must come before friendship...the throne must come before it. W-what are you going to do with Lady Catherine?"

"I'm going to win her over" Marian answered as she and her daughter approached the Scottish entourage "I'm going to try and love her as my own daughter and make her feel welcome. I expect you to do the same"
"You can count on me, mama"
"I know, ma chérie...but can we count on Edmund?" 

The Queen and Princess came to a halt and the rather small woman at the centre of the Scots turned, throwing back her veil to reveal her beautiful face. Lady Catherine Gordon.
"Your graces" she said in her native Scottish accent, which made Lisbet smile, as she sank down into a curtsy "tis an honour to meet you"

Marian nodded and was quick to raise Catherine from the ground, taking her hands and smiling.
"Lady Catherine!" She greeted, loudly enough for all to hear "it is with great pleasure that I welcome you to court and look forward to the day where I may call you my daughter!"

Catherine blushed and nodded her thanks as Lisbet walked forward and embraced her fondly before pulling back and smiling as her mother had done.

"My dear sister! I also welcome you to court and hope that we shall be dear to one another from this day forth! I would have you call me Lisbet if that is agreeable to you?"
Catherine practically glowed with gratitude, ecstatic that she seemed to be being accepted by the mighty House of York so quickly.
"Aye...Lisbet, t'would be an honour...if you will call me Cathy?"