The First Tudor Prince

September 1486, Westminster

Screams of pain and terror filled the halls of Westminster as Lizzie went into labour, lying on her bed, cradling her belly as sweat tickled down her body. She yet out another shriek and reached for Lisbet's hand, unintentionally digging her nails into her little cousin's flesh so hard that the girl let out a little yelp of her own.

"Sweet Jesus, Lisbet" Lizzie murmured, eyes squeezed tight shut "what I would give to have Marian here right now...I need her...we all do...oh I don't want him to come out...there is a curse..." Lisbet's eyes widened as her cousin's nails dug into her again. She winced.

"W-what curse..."
"H-he will die, Lisbet...he w-will die..."

The door banged open and Lady Margaret, along with Cecily, Maggie and a few other ladies, flooded into the room.
"Quickly!" Margaret called to the nearest, catching the sleeve of her gown "ale to dull the pain!"

"My mother!" Lizzie screamed "Please get me my mother!" She let out another gut wrenching cry and flopped back against the pillows, strength quickly draining from her.

The hours passed at what seemed to be the pace of a snail and with each moment that came and went, all became more anxious. Eventually Lady Margaret dismissed all but Lisbet and the two, along with Lizzie, were left alone.

The Lady and Lisbet looked at one another, their emotions showing plainly through their dark eyes and they nodded in the silent call for a truce.

It was true, Lisbet had not forgiven Lady Margaret for the whipping she dealt her young body and she never would, but she also recognised that in that moment Lizzie was what mattered, not their intense hatred. 'It is what mama would have done' the girl told herself.

"Perhaps we should toss her in a blanket?" She suggested anxiously as Lizzie let out another groan, now clinging to her bed post, but Margaret instantly shook her head, her face momentarily clouded with memories of a past fear.

"No!" She commanded fiercely as Lisbet threw the blanket aside and went to her cousin "No we will not do that!"
"Then what then?" Lisbet demanded, now looking purely to Margaret for aid in her panic "she will die!"

"She will not die!"
"Oh and how do you know?! It is Gods Will to give you foresight all of a sudden, Lady Margaret?"

Margaret glanced at Lisbet and rolled her eyes but they began to work together all the same, gently taking hold of Lizzie and helping her stand, leading her to the end of the bed.

"Lizzie listen to me" Lady Margaret said in a soothing tone, one that made Lisbet's head shoot up. She never thought Margaret capable of a tone like that "you must push this baby out, my child, or you will be made to suffer as I was!"

Lizzie gasped in pain as she took hold of the ropes that her cousin had hastily attached to the bed.
"I can't!" She sobbed
"When I gave birth to Henry I was just a girl! Only thirteen! I thought I would die from the pain but I knew it was my destiny and my child if he would live would be king of England!" Margaret replied calmly, rubbing Lizzie's back.