Blood of my Blood

3 months later, 10th of November 1499, Middleham, Lisbet is 24

Middleham, Lisbet is 24...

Gazing over the castle walls from where she stood on the ramparts, Lisbet watched, with hope in her heart, for any sign of a messenger. It had been three months since she had sent her letter and for three months there had been no word back.

Each day, Lisbet would start with a new hope in her, a hope that she would hear from her love and know at least that he was well. Over the days and the weeks and eventually the months a worry began to brew inside her, that something or someone was preventing Francis from writing.

Perhaps they were torturing him? Starving him to the point where she couldn't write? What if Ned had fallen ill again so? What if Teddy had too? What if Ned was dead and Francis was grieving? What if Francis himself was dead.

"No!" She yelled, stepping back from the walls and clapping a hand to her mouth when she realised she had spoken out loud "no" she repeated with a lowered voice "no do not think such things, Elizabeth"

"Look Lillbet! Look! Look!" The voice of John greeted loudly and Lisbet turned to see him toddling towards her, a proud smile on his face.
"Oh my dear boy!" She exclaimed with a laugh and moved towards him a little, letting him come to her the rest of the way "my I'm so proud of you, Johnny!"

Scooping the little boy into her arms, Lisbet covered his rosy face with kisses while he squealed and laughed. Putting him down once more, John turned around and pointed innocently to her large belly, making her grin.
"Babby" he stated and Lisbet knelt down only to find the little boy's head pressed against the front of her gown as if he was trying to hear the babe.

He tapped her belly a little and began to mumble little things as he did so.
"Hello" he said quietly before he turned and toddled down the ramparts again, clinging onto the stone whenever he needed it.

Lisbet smiled and looked forward to the day (which would be very soon) when she would see her child do that and could scoop them into her arms and smother them with kisses as she did to John, her little nephew.

Walking down to the courtyard and across to the gardens, Lisbet found Magda at work, once more collecting the flowers for the castle.
"Have you seen how well John is getting along with his walking?" She asked "and I swear he talks better every day!"

Magda laughed and quickly brushed down her apron of mud and stray petals, picking up her basket full of colourful blooms as she did so.
"Aye" she agreed "Johnny gets stronger everyday... was Eddie like that at John's age? A quick learner?"
Lisbet chuckled and linked arms with her friend da as they strolled through the gardens together, enjoying the winter sun.

"Well, Ed was older than me so I don't remember much of him as a youngster. I was only just born when he was John's age! But from what I recall, mama always seemed to think him an intelligent boy...what a shame he didn't seem so at the end..."