An Escape of Yorks

Watching the courtyard from her window, Lisbet felt Francis' arms wrap around her waist and his lips gently caress her neck

"Are we really going to do this?" He asked, his hands sliding down to her belly "are you sure?"

"Yes" she whispered, reaching up and cupping his cheek with her hand "it is the only way...if only you had seen Ned this afternoon...you would see why we must run, my love"
"And what are you waiting for? You have been stood at this window for hours barely speaking... what occupies your mind but grief and worry for the child that grows in your belly?"

With a small sigh, Lisbet pulled away from the embrace and set about laying out her clothes for the night.

'Nothing to draw attention to yourselves' she had said and so Lisbet began rummaging through her coffers, staring at the beautiful gowns she had accumulated over the past months before casting them aside until she found the simple blue one she had been given in November. Pulling out a simple black cloak and a purse, she threw them on the bed before packing the pouch with all the jewels she had.

"I am watching for the lights to go out" she said "Maggie has lived her longer than we, she said that there is always a time during the night that the guards go from their duties for a half hour... the hallways will be deserted and Maggie will unlock the gate for us "
"So we are to escape then?" Francis finished and was rewarded with a kiss.

"Precisely!" His wife chuckled "now fetch some of your own clothes...no! Not the fine ones, Francis! We must be inconspicuous! The need for extravagance can wait!"
Together, the two quickly dressed, taking only what they might need from the room so that they did not have to haul anything with them and then snuffed out the candles in the room, plunging them into darkness.

When a glow came from the window, the Duchess moved towards it, being careful not to crash into anything, lest she create a noise and guards come running. Leaning against the thick window panes, pressing her hands to the glass, she began to count her heartbeats, felt her chest slowly rising and falling as she waited for the lights to go out.

"I love you very much" she said as Francis joined her and gently put a hand to his cheek "you know that, don't you?"

Smiling, her husband gently took her hand and kissed her palm, drawing her gently into his arms.
"Of course I do, Lillibet...just as I love you and shall love the little one that we bring into this world" he put a hand to her belly again and Lisbet smiled, placing her hand atop his.

Looking to the side, her heart almost stopped as she saw nothing at all, all was pitch black and her breathing quickened as she realised that it was time. Time for freedom.
"Francis...it's time"
"I know" he replied, already heading for the door and motioning for her to follow him "now we must fly, my little bird, lest we get caught in the bat's trap"

Taking one last look around the room and at her possessions, Lisbet hurried through the open door and took a torch from the walls to light their way. Hand in hand, the Duke and Duchess of Exeter made their way along the hallways, praying with all their might that they would not be caught.