Vows That Bind Us

One week later

One week later...

"So" Lisbet observed as she and Margaret made their way to the sunny gardens where ornate tents were being set up, the golden tables inside laden with good and the blankets on the grass being promptly filled with soft cushions "today is the day then?"

"Aye" Margaret replied "and what a big day it is for York! I hope it all runs smoothly"
"Well what do you expect Cathy to do? Refuse?"
"No...but by God I hope Edmund doesn't waver in his proposal!"

As the court gathered to hear the announcement, Lisbet found her brother pacing behind a bush, twisting his rings back and forth on his fingers just like his father did. His sister could see that his lips were moving and his eyes were almost closed as he tried to remember what he had to say and do.

"Ed?"
His eyes snapped open and he sprang back, reaching for his dagger before he realised it was Lisbet standing in front of him and relaxed a little "Ed do you know what you're doing?"
"I think so" he answered, straightening his golden doubled "I just..."
"Just what, brother? I thought you and Cathy were getting along well?"
"We are! We are!" He said quickly, playing with his rings again "but I cannot forget her...I was sure....sure that Cathy and I could make one another happy...I feel as if I have already fallen in love with her, Lisbet...and she seems to love me too"

"Then don't let old memories stop you, Edmund!" Lisbet replied, stepping forward and taking his hands "you will propose to Cathy, she will accept and you will be married! Do not let anything deny you your chance of happiness in this, brother...it may not be what you always wanted...but you have found something in it so don't throw it away"

Regal trumpets blared and the two Yorks looked around them.
"Tis time" Edmund observed and ran a hand through his hair, trying to slow his racing heartbeat before walking forward, and into the view of the court, quickly followed by his sister.

Cathy was seated on a velvet blanket, her black curls loose with only a small golden circlet on her head (Lisbet recognised it as one of Marian's). Her gown was deep blue and had slashed sleeves which revealed a murrey kirtle underneath, she looked just as nervous as Edmund, though a small smile lit her face. As he approached, she stood and bobbed a small curtsy.

All the eyes of the court turned to them.

"Lady Catherine" Edmund greeted.
"Your grace" she replied, lowering her eyes as Edmund took her hands and went down on one knee before her.

"Lady Catherine, for many months now I have admired you and wish for our two great countries to be at peace. So, my lady, will you do me the great honour of becoming my wife and future Queen of England? This uniting our two great nations forever?"
All waited with baited breath as Cathy slowly nodded and spoke.
"Yes, your grace" she said and everyone breathed a sigh of relief before letting out a cheer.

"To the Prince and Princess of Wales!" Margaret proclaimed, raising her goblet of wine.
"To the Prince and Princess of Wales" very one else echoed before clapping and letting out another cheer as Edmund leant forward and gently kissed Cathy on the lips, a deep blush staining both of their cheeks.