Lives of Old and New

January 1498, Lisbet is 23

"Do you know what it will be?" Anne asked as she gazed at the small bulge that curved her older sister's belly.

"No I do not...though I do admit I rather hope for a boy" Lisbet replied, a soft smile appearing on her lips "but then again, as long as the baby is healthy, it does not matter if they are a boy or a girl, what matters is that I shall have a child...my child...Francis' child..."

"And what will you name it?" Anne continued, now reaching out to stroke Lisbet's belly a little, hoping to feel the growing York child inside kick a little. Her sister smiled.
"If it is a boy, then Francis and I decided we shall name him Richard...if it's a girl...then I would like to name her Anne...for Francis' mother, Anne Neville who you were named after!"

Anne began to glow and clasped her hands around her sister's neck giggling uncontrollably until Cathy walked over with a smile of greeting and sat down beside her sisters in law, a protective hand placed over her own flat belly.
"How are you, Lisbet?" She asked gently "I'm sorry we do not see each other as often as we used to but..."

"Edmund forbids it" Lisbet finished with a bitter laugh and Cathy nodded sadly.
"Perhaps when our babes are born they can help heal the breach between you and your brother?"
"Maybe, sister...I thought that your marriage may help to bring us all together but it's been 3 months now since you were wed and nothing has changed! Still...is Edmund well towards you?"

"Aye, always" Cathy replied with a small laugh "he is growing to love me...and I am growing to love him. I think that a child is all we need now to truly solidify our feelings for each other"

"I'm glad...I want you two to be happy" Annie piped up and Cathy gave her a smile before holding out her hand to the girl.
"Would you like to take a walk with me Anne? I believe Edmund may like to see you?"

Anne looked to Lisbet, who nodded in approval, before hopping from where she was sitting in the nursery window and skipped by Cathy's side as the two left, leaving Lisbet to her thoughts.

She leant her head against the stone frame of the window and cradled her belly in her hands, humming a pretty song and wondering if the baby inside could hear her melody.
"I shall love you, little one" she whispered, closing her eyes until a sharp pain shot through her belly and she cried out, clenching her fists.

"My love!" The call of Francis' worried voice made her cry out again, tears springing to her eyes as the pain coursed through her veins "is it the pain again" he asked, wrapping his arms around her as she nodded.

"I'm...I'm sure it is nothing" she gasped "I'm sure it's normal...it's only been happening for the past few days..." the pain began to subside and Lisbet let out a small sigh, leaning her head against Francis' shoulder.
"How are you?" He asked after a moment "the pain in your heart appears to have eased for your loss of Jasper Tudor"
"Soft, my love" Lisbet replied before sighing. Two months before, a messenger from England had brought the news that Jasper Tudor was dead, had been struck down by a fever and that his nephew was devastated.