A Maurading Madman

That evening Lizzie paced the halls with Lisbet and Bianca behind her, glancing worriedly at each other, terrified that Ned would be locked away after the scene from that afternoon

"What did you say to them?" She asked suddenly as Maggie appeared at the end of the hallway, her gentle face holding an uneasy expression as she stopped "what did you say to Bianca and Lisbet during the hunt?" Lizzie raised an eyebrow and the other woman's eyes flicked to her cousins behind.

Bianca immediately shook her head as a hand went to her belly and Maggie attempted a smile.
"I told her I was sorry" she answered "and that I hope the baby is well when born"

Lizzie glanced behind her and drew Lisbet forward by the hand, nodding at her before looking back to Maggie.
"I would like you to serve as one of my ladies" she said "and while I may have found my dear one again, finding loyalty is still a challenge"

She turned and began to walk away, taking Lisbet and Bianca with her but Maggie called out, causing them to halt.
"I would be honoured" she said in a small voice, clutching at the folds of her dull green cloak "but our home is very far away...and we were hoping to return there soon"

Her eldest cousin gave a mirthless laugh and stepped forward again.
"Indeed" she said "it's too far away. Henry trusts your husband and would like to keep him close" she paused for a moment "you always said you wished to be near Teddy, did you not?"

Maggie's face paled and she forced herself to smile a little, nodding her head.
"Yes your grace" she said and at last turned to go, scurrying away with her husband in tow.

༒༒༒

"I do not want to go" Lisbet muttered as Bianca unlaced the back of her hunting gown and placed the blue silk one over her head, adjusting the deep v of white silk that was the neckline as she fastened the back "and you should be resting, my friend! For the baby!"

At that, the Duchess of York laughed and kissed her sister in law on the cheek, gathering up her dark hair and placing into the golden hairnet she had selected.
"I would rather be busy" she replied "if I'm not, I shall do nothing but worry for Neddy all day...I must do something else or I shall go mad"

"I understand" Lisbet replied with a small smile, slowly running a finger along her neck as she thought of where he crucifix was. With Annie... with Marian...at Gravensteen...safe and sound.

A small knock came at the door and Maggie entered, a comforting smile on her face as she walked forward and embraced Lisbet, giving Bianca a small nod in greeting, although they were all but strangers.

"King Henry has sent for you" she said and Lisbet tensed, drawing away from the embrace and tilting her head.
"King?" She repeated "you know you need not address him as that when you are with me, dearest Maggie"

Maggie laughed a little and wrung her hands.
"Tis hard after so many years of saying he is" she replied and Bianca nodded in understanding.
"The you had best not keep him waiting" she said, taking her friend's arm and guiding her towards the door "I will be here when you get back, no doubt trying to get your loving husband to quell his anger"